Notices

Exhausted...

Old 06-01-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exhausted...

Made it through my first sober wedding.

Free bar, punch, champagne...
People bringing me glasses, talking about partying all night..
These gatherings wear me out..
The disappointments everytime I say no to a drink and the sad faces when I wanted to leave before midnight...urgh..
I hate the guilt!

But I made it and I feel proud of me for showing up and staying there for 5 hours!
Now I'm just so exhausted. Will go to bed and watch some tv to relax.

I hope you all are having a great weekend!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Its a big stone in your new life wall. Be proud, and think about how you will remember your night tonight and wont have the anxiety that comes with a horrible hangover and wondering what you said and did the night before.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not an easy situation but I often found guilt and humiliation , for me , were more present when I did drink. Now I can leave those feelings to others....hang in there
Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's wonderful! Congrats!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You made it through, well done. It's hard to be in certain situations and I hate feeling uncomfortable. Last wedding I was at I was singing on the stage with the band and trying to hump some poor fella's leg. My sister fell on a wedding cake once, so that makes my feel only slightly better.

Another achievement on your journey! We should celebrate every hurdle.

S x
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
Old 06-02-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a wedding to go to in a few weeks. So I'll know how you felt!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
You made it through, well done. It's hard to be in certain situations and I hate feeling uncomfortable. Last wedding I was at I was singing on the stage with the band and trying to hump some poor fella's leg. My sister fell on a wedding cake once, so that makes my feel only slightly better.

Another achievement on your journey! We should celebrate every hurdle.

S x
SAZZLE, this is too funny! It reminds me of that movie 28 days with Sandra Bullock. Did you all see it? Not to make light of a situation that is embarrassing. Sorry.
Sassu, I am very proud of you. Congrats on making it through. Now, you can go through the day hangover and guilt free. Im sure that a ot of the wedding party will not be able to say that. YOU ROCK!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, that is awesome. Especially since it sounds like people were offering you drinks all night and I imagine most don't know the whole story so it is unusual for you to be declining.

I haven't conquered this yet and I think I'll feel the same as you.. long term my approach is to avoid turning the event itself into a negative. I don't want to rest of my life to be in fear of social events because of alcohol. But that probably takes a long time.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done! I'm not a alcoholic, but my son is a recovering one. If it's any consolation, I rarely drink simply because it doesn't interest me and I hate the headache I get after a beer or glass of wine, so I don't drink at weddings or parties either. I know it must be difficult to go to these events if you're a recovering A, but if you look around carefully there are usually more people than you think who aren't drinking or are only having one or two. I love to dance and talk, so I'm spend most of my time doing that. I think as time goes on you'll see that you aren't the only completely sober oner in the room. Once again, well done!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I remember my first party as the "sober" one - it WAS exhausting. For some reason time just seemed to grind to a halt at certain points; honestly I just wanted to get home. The temptation to drink was pretty much not there once I saw how ridiculous and annoying all my drunk friends were acting but I think I literally counted down the minutes until it was socially acceptable for me to get out of that environment....

Anyway, not that it's all about me! YOU made it through this so awesome job! I think it will get easier from here. Have a nice relaxing night.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Exactly BabyJane....that 5 hours felt sooooo looooong!!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job!

I keep reading that every time we make it through a temptation that our sober 'muscle' gets bigger and stronger. No wonder you were tired - that was a HUGE workout.

Hope you have a peaceful and serene day!!