Notices

Counting days

Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Pedro! Personally, I say 9 months ago I made the choice to live a sober life. I'm still in my first year, so it's easier to keep track but I reckon once I pass a year I will probably celebrate my sober birthday - which is my actual birthday so I will always now have 2 wonderful things to celebrate!!

Do whatever works for you. Take in all the different approaches and determine how you can use those pieces of advice to create your own path which will keep you sober.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miyako View Post
Here's the problem for me: I am only 5 months' sober and still frequently tempted to drink. I long ago exceeded my "personal best" record and have only been adding to it. The number of days/months sober helps me when I just want to drink and I am visualizing going to the liquor store (like tonight) and getting some wine or vodka. JUST a couple drinks ... can't hurt. But then I think I've been stone sober for over FIVE months and I don't want to blow my record for one momentary bad night ... and I think of other things I can do to cope with the feeling. There are some days/nights when I don't think about drinking too, but they are not so frequent that I can just stop counting altogether. I feel like I am still on a journey towards complete sobriety. Complete sobriety will come for me when I don't get those temptations -- or get them very infrequently -- and when avoiding alcohol becomes second nature to me and I don't have to think about it.

As far as relapsing goes, I don't want to relapse, ever again. Maybe that's too ambitious, I don't know. But I have a friend who's made relapsing -- setting goals, then blowing them, then "forgiving" himself and setting new goals which he then also blows -- a way of life. I don't want to have an ambivalent relationship with alcohol. My mantra lately is Control. I want to be in Control of my life and make choices that are right for me. Choice Number One is that I am not going to drink. Period. And if counting every bloody second of sobriety is what helps me to get there, I'm counting. Count me IN. The idea of failing on myself NOW is just too terrible to contemplate. I've worked so HARD to get to this point ....
This is how I feel almost exactly and it is beautifully articulated in the above post. I do not have five months yet (good for you, Miyako!) but I also use my "days and months" to remind myself how far away from that last drink I have come and how absolutely crappy I will feel now if I go back. I also remind myself of things like, "At one and a half months I actually started looking like myself again and not some bloated, old version of me..." and "At two months I stopped thinking about wine at least every hour," and, "At three months people started to trust me again and take me at my word..."and "At nearly four months I have made new friends and am beginning to realize you can have fun without being drunk..."

Thinking of having to do ALL of that stuff over again (particularly repairing the personal and work relationships) keeps me straight. Plus I feel better than I have in years. So, yeah...I count...but more for a reminder of how far BACK I could go if I give into just one drink.

Great question/thread! Thanks Pedro!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
EFC

I counted days until around 5 months; I still count months but it got hard to keep track of.

I can say this. One time in the early going I was in an unexpected situation where I REALLY wanted to drink. It was a struggle, but I stayed strong and held off. I distinctly remember saying to myself, "Do you really want to erase these last 18 days of being sober and wake up tomorrow on day 1 again?" While not the only reason I chose to stay sober that night, it absolutely did help me in those difficult early days.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Yes, I count my days. I do it because I have worked hard for these days and I'm darn proud of them. To stop drinking was literally the hardest thing I have ever had to do and it hasn't been easy. I've had to change alot of things and relearn things as well. I didn't think I could do it at the beginning so for me counting the days is very important.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow great response thanks everyone. I personally have counted every day so far (53) and as i said lapped up the encouragement from others along the way. I don't think i could have made it this far without the encouragement from others and self pride that comes with each days sobriety being noted and adding up to my "personal best". (I do worry about people chasing personal bests though as i fear there could be negatives in doing this)
Interestingly i gave up smoking some 20 years ago after being a heavy smoker (pack a day) and am certain i knew my give up date back then and most probably counted days. Now I cant even remember what year let alone month or day it was that i gave up now.
Whether or not you are a "counter" i wish you all the best of luck as you all venture forward with your road to recovery. If there is bump in the road try and go around it. If you go over it and stumble get back up and keep going and "COUNT that a lesson well learnt". I have really enjoyed reading your responses. Have a fantastic day everyone.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Personally I resisted counting days when I relapsed the first time back in jan. I just figured, what's the point? At that point someone very close to me said: counting days is so important to some people because it marks their physical success. Correct: physical success. The emotional side of sobriety is as important as not picking up a drink. It's torturous sometimes. I didn't feel right taking credit for x amount of days, when my thinking clearly wasn't straight. However I am back to day 1, sleep 2. So guess what? Counting days is going to be an intricate part of my program, to measure my physical success.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I think it's a personal thing. However, I find it interesting that almost everyone here can recall how long they've been drinking. For instance, Pedro, this is from your first post:

"I am 45 years of age and started drinking at the age of 14."

If you are able to track your drinking, I'd think you'd want to be able to track how long you've been sober.

Blessed to be sober since Sept. 4, 2010.
So true, So true. I hope that the endurance i maintained whilst drinking for all them years is reflected in my efforts at Sobriety moving forward. I don't know how i could have wasted so many years