Notices

Need detox help

Old 05-28-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need detox help

Hi everyone,

It has been extremely hard for me to stop drinking. Today is my first day towards detox. Not quite sure how or where to start. Any suggestions??
Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long have you been drinking how often/much? Have you ever quit before? I quit cold turkey after drinking at least 5 night a week for a couple if years. My physical side effects were mostly headache and foggyness. The emotional withdrawal was harder.

You have cond to a great place tons of support here!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR! Everyone is different of course in what they might experience, and it also depends a lot on how long, how much you drank, etc. Your best bet is to visit a doctor and be honest about your drinking and what you want to accomplish. Some people can detox at home, some need inpatient or outpatient treament. But it's always better to be safe than sorry, and nearly impossible ( and against forum rules ) to give medical advice here.

You have made a great choice, best of luck moving forward.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, i do not have medical insurance making it harder for me to get medical help.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Lrdz7173 View Post
Hi, i do not have medical insurance making it harder for me to get medical help.
Many times there are addiction clinic/resource centers that offer free or low cost/sliding scale help. I don't live in Philadelphia but it's a pretty populated are and I bet you could find some help if you call around. Perhaps some forum members here from the area could help too.

The main reason it's a good idea to get some medical attention initially is that while rarely, withdrawals can be very dangerous. We have plenty of support to offer you here to help get you through, just no medical advice or help.