Notices

I'm leaving on a jet plane ...!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm leaving on a jet plane ...!

Hi, so my assignment in Africa has come to an end and I fly out tonight on a 7.5hour flight to Paris. This is going to be my biggest hurdle yet - I have been totally sober for the 15 days I have been here (yay me !) and aim to keep this up .. my problem is that I am 'programmed' to drink wine during long flights . To me there is no more pleasurable way to travel than knocking back several (five, six) of the little bottles of wine and watching a movie. In addition, it is a night flight so without alcohol I know I will be wide awake .. BUT I have to (as you all say on SR) have a plan ..I am rehearsing in my head what I will say when the air hostess comes round and says 'and what would you like to drink ?'... 'Orange juice please' will be my reply ...please please please send positive vibes so I can do this as there is part of me that is very tempted to say 'a white wine please'.. and then it's all downhill. If I can do this, then I will feel much more confident about maintaining my sobriety at home...My son is waiting for me and I can't let him down ...but part of me feel that a long flight without wine is impossible..
Old 05-19-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just imagine how you will feel when you get off the flight from Africa, after NOT drinking......it will be an amazing achievement, think how strong you will feel when you see your son again after 15 days, he wil feel that "vibe' from you.

I used to be the same, long flights meant one thing only, loads of booze and watching movies, no better way to pass away the time. Anyway when she / he is coming around with the food / drinks I suggest the following with your phone in flight mode.....flick through all the pictures of you son or family on your phone ( assuming you have photos on you phone), did the trick for me on few occasions.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Hopefully you are over the worst of the withdrawls and are excited to stay on the sober road. Keep us updated!
Old 05-19-2013, 04:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent strategy Djevice .. will do ! Thanks !
Old 05-19-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What Dej said. Close your eyes and see yourself walking off the plane sober. Really try to feel the great emotions you will feel when you land and you're sober. It's a good feeling, right? Imagine how much strength you will gain from not drinking on the flight. Not drinking this time will make the next flight that much easier.

And remember, a flight without wine or alcohol is always possible.