Notices

My first real test

Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first real test

So here I am tonight, 6th day sober. The shakes, anxiety, and nervousness is gone. My wife and I had plans to go out with a very good friend for sushi and drinks after. Now, I've not told anyone except my wife that I've stopped drinking yet. I didn't want to set myself up for embarrassment in case I couldn't make it. Now we arrive at the sushi restaurant and I order a tea and my friends all get sake and beers and I inform them of my progress; I also reveal a little about my problem with drinking. It was all well received and my good friend even suggested I not follow them to the bar. That was a great relief because I didn't want to go to the bar this soon, but felt obligated due to my friends birthday. First test, passed. Tomorrow makes day 7! Thanks guys!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DAB

That's great, intriptic!
Congratulations on 6 days sober!
It took me months before I could be around people drinking without negative thinking.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I was kinda conflicted about it. Not so much the dinner cause I knew I'd have options and conversation/distractions to keep me from slipping. I think it'd be a different story at a bar. Since it was his celebration I was willing to risk it, glad he gave me the option not to, guilt free. I really think its too soon and I guess he did too.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats! The first time you go into a situation where you used to drink automatically it's a little stressful. Sounds like you got thru it just fine.