Notices

What are you waiting for?

Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are you waiting for?

Last Friday, I celebrated 21 years clean and sober. I've talked about being old on this forum once in a while but it's been partly in jest. The fact of the matter is that I am only 48 years old. That means I cleaned up when I was twenty-seven years old - pretty young right?

Before I go on, I want to tell you that I absolutely love my life. Front to back - it is awesome and I wouldn't trade it for anything. That said, a few days before my sober birthday, I was laid up in the hospital. It's my heart.

I'm clean and sober, non-smoker, vegetarian who exercises regularly to the best of my ability. I had my first heart attack four years ago and have been collecting them since. Fibromyalgia, arthritis, the list goes on. I take twenty-four non-narcotic prescription pills every day. This last trip to the hospital they lowered the over/under for my life to 52 years old. Every single pill I take is a direct result of the damage I did to myself prior to entering recovery at the ripe old age of twenty-seven.

What are you waiting for to take this seriously?

This has been public service announcement written with love for my brothers and sisters still suffering.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I don't think anybody here doesn't take this seriously...if they didn't they wouldn't be here.

Glad you got sober young, and sorry you are having health issues.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dollyangel17 View Post
Well I don't think anybody here doesn't take this seriously...if they didn't they wouldn't be here.
Sorry I came across as if I were lecturing; that was not my intent. I know that once upon a time I thought I could quit tomorrow. Just intended as some food for thought for those, like me once upon time, who didn't treat this as life or death.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for your message.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you aren't feeling well. I am going to take the over on 52. Your healthy life style definitely will contribute.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As a hypochondriac I definitely regret coming into this topic, I've heard people say that addicts "fall apart" and die young, this is just another nail in that coffin to me.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
As a hypochondriac I definitely regret coming into this topic, I've heard people say that addicts "fall apart" and die young, this is just another nail in that coffin to me.
Well then I'll just have to live to cheer you up eh?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi legna -

Thanks so much for your post. I was having a rough day over nothing and your post really helped to ground me on what's important.

Someday needs to be today. Thanks for keeping me going.
Congrats on your 21st! I hope you have a speedy recovery & I'm with Delilah on the over!