Notices

Parties all weekend ugggg...

Old 05-11-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Parties all weekend ugggg...

Good morning everyone So today is day 6 for me and I cant remember (other than when pregnant or a child) being sober for 6 days!!!
So tonight I have a communion that I THOUGHT was a luncheon and its at 730 in a bar/restaurant are u kidding me!!!! My desire not to drink is so strong and my husband and children will be with me so I know I wont. but how will I get through it. What do I drink I don't even know!! I know that most would say don't go but its not an option I have to go..How do you handle parites?
Thanks for any advice
Angie
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my first few months, I spent a lot of time at parties either in the bathroom reading SR on my phone or outside smoking. It wasn't easy, but I did it. You can too!!! When the urge becomes overwhelming leave the room and distract your mind.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I in the beginning was overwhelmed by situations like this until some one suggested to just say no thank you. It works! Then if need be say that you are on a prescription which prohibits alcohol intake, or that you can't as you break out, just don't mention which state. BE WELL
Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay calm! Get your own drinks to make sure they sure they are NA. Club soda with lime is an option and will usally be served in a smaller glass or ask for one so no one will ask if you are drinking. Try to hang out away from the bar. You are in control of what you put in your body. If you are really struggling, always have a exit strategy! It is hard at first, but going out does get easier and MORE FUN SOBER. But if it gets uncomfortable, just leave. You can do it! Best.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok That will be my drink of choice Club soda with lime I can always says its a Gin and Tonic lol Im trying to take in one minute at a time.....
Old 05-11-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Club soda and lime is a great choice, but I recommend you don't say it's gin and tonic, because if someone buys a round, they might hand you one for real. Have fun, you can do it, and peek here now and again if it helps keep you focused.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in the same situation right now. I'm at a party I couldn't get out of. Lots of coming and reading on here when I can. I brought my own smoothies and so far things are going ok.

I'm also only on day 5 so I wouldn't of come if I had a choice.

You can do it. Take time out when you can. Lots of fresh air. Keep reminding yourself why you wanted to stop and that one will never just be one.

We both can get through it and wake up feeling proud and fresh and not guilty and rough.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Remember, there are a lot of reasons or "excuses" to not drink. Your that DD, you're cutting ack to lose weight, you recently started a new med where you can't drink...club soda is good. One of my favorite NA bar drinks is a Shirley Temple. There are plentyu of options out there.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

How did it go Angie?

D
Old 05-12-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How did it go Angie?

D
I did it!!! I didn't drink last night and what a mothers day gift to myself Lime and Club soda all night!!! I have not been this proud of myself in a very long time!!!
One thing I realized last night though was that most people (at this party its was only a communion) didn't drink like I did. I would have had like 8 9 wines they had like 2 or 3 drinks and no WAY would I stop at 2 wines no way. Plus I woke up without a hangover!!!
Yeah!!!
Angie
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go Angie! What a great accomplishment!!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! Good to hear. Feel great about taking care of yourself, it will get easier.