Notices

24 yr old mormon, college student looking to get healthy

Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 yr old mormon, college student looking to get healthy

I'm not yet sober but hope to be and came here for guidance.

I was raised Mormon (LDS) and was taught to stay away from drugs and alcohol but I gave into peer pressure in high school and tried vodka and pot by my junior year.

I had started to turn things around by the end of my senior year. I was sober, healthy, working out daily and attended church. I met my current husband and we got married when I was 19, which is normal by Mormon standards.

Being married at 19 provided me a lot of freedom that I wasn't quite ready for. Because I was no longer under my parents rules, I did what I wanted which included drinking, doing drugs and being unhealthy, all while trying to hide everything from my Mormon family.

I've let vodka and pot control my life everyday since 2009. I've wasted so much money and time on this crap. I can't do this anymore.

I'm now 24 and feel like I haven't progressed at all. I'm still working and going to school and have nothing to show for it. My husband has now let his addictions run his life too, he's worse off than I am and I'm sick of letting his lack of progress affect me.

I need help staying strong and want to become sober for the right reasons.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Soberbeth View Post
I need help staying strong and want to become sober for the right reasons.
Welcome to SR, you are definitely in the right place to find support to stay strong and also resources to help you get sober.

You mention you want to become sober "for the right reasons"...what do you view those reasons to be?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm associating my addictions with being unhappy and depressed and I think getting sober for the right reason is by finding happiness and finally being comfortable with myself. I want to have enough self esteem to treat myself and my health better.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a great place for support.