Notices

So far so good .. :-)

Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So far so good .. :-)

ok I have arrived in a central African capital for my work and luckily it appears as if my two young colleagues are teetotal ! (Yay!). The hotel is lovely and has a gym and tennis court - have booked to play tennis and will hopefully work out. Luckily there is NO room service (my speciality is usually ordering vast amounts of wine to be delivered to the room !) . Had a juice last night and will do same tonight hopefully. Bizarrely I feel like I am on a total break from my life at home which can be somewhat stressful (single mum of kid with ADHD)..I am, for once, able to step back and think about how to handle some of the stress without drinking.. I think I couldn't see the wood for the trees when I was at home.. but now I can (sort of ). This is only day one away so hopefully it will get better ! Sooo grateful for your support..Keep it coming please ! x
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day one Icandothis

D
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do this. Congratulations!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a great attitude. Good for you!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This will work for you!..a lovely hotel and tee total buddies - yay!

Have fun
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah yes, room service...my huge downfall as well. Glad you don't have this option (and hopefully no mini bar either )

Glad the hotel has opportunities for exercise. I did that this time and found it useful as it both distracted me and exhausted me. Much better exercise than repeatedly hitting the button for room service and walking to and fro to answer the door and get my next bottle while divesting my wallet of massive amounts of tip money in hopes that my little extracurricular activities would be kept a secret

I also saw this last trip as a chance to reflect on what was going on with me away from my "normal" life. Before, when I was drinking, these trips were often something to be endured rather than a gift. Mostly because, as a drunk, solitude and drinking went hand-in-hand. But once I took the drink option away, I saw the trip as a chance to get some quality me time in without the bottle(s). Oddly, I enjoyed being with myself for once.

Glad that you have internet and are able to check in here as well. That was also key for me in addition to a few folks who kindly kept in touch via PM.

Africa has great fruit juices and I found that the natural sugar in them also helped keep the cravings at bay. In West Africa they also have this refreshing concoction of lemon or line juice muddled with sugar and seltzer water which was my go-to as it had the sweet and fizzy. Anything like that where you are?

Hold tight and keep checking in here with us. I am with you 100% here.

((Big hug))
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It sounds good! A wonderful new beginning. Happy for you.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At least you are in a wonderful hotel with a few things to keep you active! It does sound like it will be good for you to unwind without the family stress....keep posting.