Notices

Just outta curiosity ..

Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just outta curiosity ..

When are we no longer newcomers to recovery ? I'm now 143 days sober but still consider myself somewhat of a newcomer, but not too new. Is there a certain amount of time or is it different for everyone and dependent on how you feel ?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Funny you should ask! A few minutes ago I logged on and immediately scanned for the "Newcomers to recovery" part. It occurred to me right then that maybe I'll always feel like a newcomer, because in a way it's always going to be new for me. I am at about six and a half months sober myself, and while I don't feel any urge to relapse I still feel like sobriety is something kind of new. Sometimes it's still a little strange as I navigate the sober world.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Maybe around the year mark? That's when you can post your story, I'm just guessing.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear ya, I figure since I keep hearing at AA & from my sponsor that I'm "still a baby" in all this. I will hang on to that as long as I can!
For I know like a baby I have lots of people concerned about my welfare & want to show me the way.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I learn something "new" about my sobriety every day. And that's with 32 months sober.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still read here. I enjoy helping the necomer if I can.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think there are any rules...and I think sometimes a fresh prospective from newbies could be what veterans need...Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

when i first quit drinking, those with several months were old-timers to me.
i'm not kidding.
when i got to a couple of years, i realized just how new this all still was to me .

the "issues" changed, of course.

just keep going and see how you'll answer your own question as you're moving along
Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with fini. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I'd reach 8 months, it seemed like an eternity. Now I realise that this is really only just the beginning.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I doubt I will ever consider myself more than a beginner around here.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I guess I'm not a newcomer after over three years but I like sharing in Newcomers with the newbies. Just giving back what was so freely given me when I was new.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, there's no doubt that I will be coming in here for a very long time even just to help the "newer" people when/if I no longer or very rarely need help myself. It would probably also benefit me to help others in reminding me and refreshing ideas to stay sober because even now at almost 5 months I tend to forget why I quit drinking at times as my mind explores the possibility of returning to it, but cutting back. But I was just wondering how long you all have been sober and if you still feel new at your sobriety point. From what I gather so far tho it seems everybody is a little different.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

SHH,
in general, "newcomers" seem to struggle more with getting through the day and evening/night without drinking.
the immediacy of that.
in general, it seems as time goes on the challenges of "not knowing how to be in life" at any kind of comfort level seem to be more paramount as the getting through the days without actually drinking has become easier.
that's what i mean when i say tha the "issues" change.
timeframe is different for everyone, as you point out.

i've not had a drink in over six years, and don't want one. or any. so i don't need help with that at all. but i can't say that i'm at a point of happy and joyous freedom and contentment . nor am i constantly unhappy or discontent...but i'm not here just for others but for myself also.
no, i don't feel like an entire newcomer, but when i hear people with sober decades, they do sound different to me than those with a few years.

hm....to get to the other point you raise now: you're having thoughts about returning and drinking less/controlling?
how did that work for you in the past?
any idea why you're exploring this?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm at 5 yrs. 3 mos. & I feel that I'll always be a Newcomer. Lest we forget.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
SHH,
in general, "newcomers" seem to struggle more with getting through the day and evening/night without drinking.
the immediacy of that.
in general, it seems as time goes on the challenges of "not knowing how to be in life" at any kind of comfort level seem to be more paramount as the getting through the days without actually drinking has become easier.
that's what i mean when i say tha the "issues" change.
timeframe is different for everyone, as you point out.

i've not had a drink in over six years, and don't want one. or any. so i don't need help with that at all. but i can't say that i'm at a point of happy and joyous freedom and contentment . nor am i constantly unhappy or discontent...but i'm not here just for others but for myself also.
no, i don't feel like an entire newcomer, but when i hear people with sober decades, they do sound different to me than those with a few years.

hm....to get to the other point you raise now: you're having thoughts about returning and drinking less/controlling?
how did that work for you in the past?
any idea why you're exploring this?
The reason why I explore this, and its just once in awhile at this point, is because I've been able to do it before. Obviously there were lots of blackouts, so I kno there's an issue. But I also recall the many times I didn't black out and enjoyed drinking. Therefore, I sometimes wonder if I would be able to keep it at a level of having nights like those when I drink and not blackout again. However, I am very content in my sobriety right now. I feel amazing and don't want to lose this feeling.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
instant

Its always now, and at some level we always retain our vulnerability. I am nearly two years, im not brand new, but i have learned recovery is an ongoing process.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been drinking pretty heavy for at least, at least, 20 years. So, I probably need to be sober for about half that time before I would consider myself expirienced.

Anyway, i just read so many posts that I can relate to in the newcomers forum.

Have a safe, happy and sober weekend everyone!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Maybe because we are always told to take it one day at a time? If everyday is a new day then we are new commers to the next day of sobriety?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HellJuice View Post
Maybe because we are always told to take it one day at a time? If everyday is a new day then we are new commers to the next day of sobriety?
I like the way you put that. However, I believe that yes, each day is new, but our sobriety gets longer and we tend to get stronger.