Notices

Does it work?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it work?

For the long term that is, these Internet sober forums that is. After over 30 years I’m an AA advocate so concentrate my experience in that direction. These forums seem to fill a needed gap perhaps, so many wouldn’t want to be seen at AA and some live in very remote spots, where I am there are around 200 meetings a week within a ½ hour drive. AA does have a bad # of starting overs but it’s hard to compare. Most forums seem to carry the same not drinking message as AA.
Probably what I wonder about is are there many here say that have long term sobriety as a result of only these forums? Just curious. BE WELL.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have 5.5 years sober with SR and my HP. I live too remotely to attend AA on a regular basis. I went to a few AA meetings, liked and respected it, but it wasn't feasible because of travel time. I have some SR friends who I imagine are much like the people one would meet in AA - they would put on their cyber-sneakers and run to my aid at any time of day or night to help me stay sober. And sane. So, yes, its working for me. And, on the topic of SR friends, thanks and love to yall who are my sober brothers and sisters!!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
For the long term that is, these Internet sober forums that is. After over 30 years I’m an AA advocate so concentrate my experience in that direction. These forums seem to fill a needed gap perhaps, so many wouldn’t want to be seen at AA and some live in very remote spots, where I am there are around 200 meetings a week within a ½ hour drive. AA does have a bad # of starting overs but it’s hard to compare. Most forums seem to carry the same not drinking message as AA.
Probably what I wonder about is are there many here say that have long term sobriety as a result of only these forums? Just curious. BE WELL.
I personally think the recovery method is only as good as the dedication of the participant. My wife's grandfather has been sober for over 30 years and has never been to an AA meeting in his life. I also have a friend that has attended AA meetings almost daily for years yet still relapses multiple times every year.

Wanting to be sober, finding a plan, and sticking to said plan are the most important things in my mind. What the actual plan/program is ( AA, AVRT, SR, Smart, Plain old willpower ) is kind of irrelevant as long as it works for you.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree. I think it's about motivation, not the program.

I have been sober for 13 1/2 yrs, using these boards for about 11 1/2 yrs. And, books have always guided me in my life.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a uncle and grandfather stop on their own for more than 40 years. I agree that the motivation is most important. For myself the fellowship is very important. At times I feel that AA has me addicted to it as I've been to so many thousands of meetings over the years, perhaps because the people are my social outlet as well. THANKS and BE WELL.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've got over three years sober with the help of this site and my addiction counselor.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
These forums seem to fill a needed gap perhaps, so many wouldn’t want to be seen at AA and some live in very remote spots, where I am there are around 200 meetings a week within a ½ hour drive.
V1, approx. how many F2F meetings do you go to?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've got over 6 years and SR has been a big part of that. I still use what I learned in "the rooms" years ago, though haven't been to a meeting in ages. I also learned a lot of other things through people here...Native American beliefs, Buddhism, but basically it's just whatever "clicks" with me and reinforces my recovery.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me I have about 3 years. With 12-step fellowships I never got past about a year and a half.

It was forums and therapy that did it for me. I think the "tough love" philosophy did not work for me, and that I needed more individual contact and work than was possible in 12-step groups. In the forums, people respond individually and do not claim the authority of a group or higher power, which makes it just one addict helping another. Or one addict challenging another. I think that in AA that when a greeter or meeting chair tells you that you are practicing bad recovery it is different than when a forum member disagrees with you. I can hear it better here BECAUSE the person has no authority other than their own experience.

But I do not think the forum would have worked without therapy. In groups I got lost. I know that members are asked to focus on commonalities within a group, but I needed to speak honestly and openly, one-on-one.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by RumHound View Post
V1, approx. how many F2F meetings do you go to?
For about 25 years I probably averaged 2 meetings a day, the last 8 years it's been around 3-4 a week. my lifestyle permitted that and it certainly kept me from isolating. For instance I haven't worked since '85, after getting laid off from a company after 29 years service, didn't drink, very insecure tho. Meetings sure helped as there's only so much fishing I could do. What works for one is fine, I don't think I could handle just the forum path nor at my stage want to. In looking back I find myself and most who drank enough to get here and AA are/were quite emotionally immature which is a big long change to make. F to F meetings and sponsors were/are there to see us get and stay on the beam. Maybe AA is too harsh for some but it works if we work it and is far more soothing than where we came from. No one thing is perfect for all, I picked the path that works for many and continues too. I don't know if I could stay with just the BB or the 12 step book or only a couple meetings a month. JMHO. BE WELL.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a big AA advocate as well as SR..
Old 04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I repeat, whatever works. Probably my biggest concern is longevity and the difficulty coming back. BE WELL
Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Visch

It's one year for me and SR has been part of that recovery. For me SR is one more tool in the toolkit, whether people are also in F2F meetings or not.

I'll always have a soft spot for SR.