Notices

how long do the effects of detox last

Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how long do the effects of detox last

I'm really curious to know, after one quits drinking, how much time does it take until your body is truly clean and healthy again? Does it take weeks or months or longer to fully detox? Does anyone know the side effects of detox...? I'm trying to stay in tune to my body and I'd like to use signs or markers to help me feel more aware of how great I should be feeling.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Everyone is different.

I could feel changes, well, still---23 months in to sobriety. I drank for over 25 years and used some other drugs, too.

Everyone is different!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There is no rule in this area. Symptoms can be different for each person and can be mild or severe. If you are talking about initial detox in the first days of stopping drinking, you should visit a doctor if you have concerns. While not common, some of the initial effects can actuallly be life threatening.

Personally I'd say the intial detox symptoms for me lasted a couple of weeks. I'm at about 3.5 months now and I still have some good days and bad days, but all in all it's definitely getting better.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Depends on what you mean by detox. Quoting WebMD: Alcohol detox is an important preliminary step in the management of alcoholism. It is a medically supervised period of alcohol withdrawal.

It lasts around a week.

But that's not the end of it. All the physical effects of alcohol should diminish in a few months. Longer if alcohol has taken a serious toll on your health. However, the mental effects of alcohol can take many months.

So, inital detox is quick. Full recovery from drinking...months.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand it would be different for everyone. I'd like to hear individual's experiences. It's been1 week for be and I feel like I've been sweating more. More hungry than normal. Dreams while sleeping are more vivid. Skin is clearer and not that green-ish tint anymore. I just wonder when my liver is going to be processing normally. I guess I'll just... Guess!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you have any concerns about how you feel, or your health, see a doctor and put your mind at rest.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was told that it took time to get to the point where I stopped and it's going to take a good bit of time to get better, one day at a time. Hated the word time. BE WELL
Old 04-19-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, no, I am just curious, like I stated in my original thread. I personally feel great.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Datro View Post
I just wonder when my liver is going to be processing normally. I guess I'll just... Guess!
You don't have to guess. If you have concerns, please see a doctor. There are simple tests that can be done to find out a lot about your liver function and health in general.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling well, but do check with your dr if you're concerned.