Notices

Baaaaad Sugar Addiction

Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Im sorry I cant help, because I hate sweets. its interesting though that people struggle with it. I can tell you why I hate sweets, but it probably wont help. When I was a kid and all through my childhood I would do exactly what you're describing. To the point I got sick of it and now its a total turn off. right now when i think of eating iced cream or a piece of candy my stomach turns as it always does. It must be a mental thing. Also I am an alcoholic and when I get the hungry I feel like slabs of meat and something hearty, not sweets. Just saying I think urges like that are a whole nother demon
Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coolstorybro View Post
Im sorry I cant help, because I hate sweets. its interesting though that people struggle with it. I can tell you why I hate sweets, but it probably wont help. When I was a kid and all through my childhood I would do exactly what you're describing. To the point I got sick of it and now its a total turn off. right now when i think of eating iced cream or a piece of candy my stomach turns as it always does. It must be a mental thing. Also I am an alcoholic and when I get the hungry I feel like slabs of meat and something hearty, not sweets. Just saying I think urges like that are a whole nother demon
I used to hate sweets too, I was salt girl. (found out that had to do with burned out adrenals)…..Just out of curiosity how long have you been sober because the sugar cravings didn't start for me until I was sober for about 3 months. I am hoping it wears off.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I used to hate sweets too, I was salt girl. (found out that had to do with burned out adrenals)…..Just out of curiosity how long have you been sober because the sugar cravings didn't start for me until I was sober for about 3 months. I am hoping it wears off.
well first off I count my days in weeks at a time, im stills-a-strugglin. I plan on asking questions later on here.

The sugar thing, Its been like that long before I drank, and i didnt drink a drink until I was 30 (33 now). didnt change. It could be some physical problem(?) that tells my body to avoid sweets. Also I think women are a little bit different when it comes to sugar. Alls I can say is that drinking had 0 effect on the desire for sugar and i highly doubt that will ever change.

Thats interesting as well tho...that you went from not interested in sugar to a desire. someone help solve this!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I've never had a problem craving sugar. My income pivots on my appearance so I... can't... and I've never been in the habit of giving in (great, THAT'S where I have mucho willpower?). But, I do sub in sugar free candies or sugar free ice cream and will eat far too much of it if I keep it in the house. I remember sometimes during the end of a binge when I was ready to sober up my... number two... smelled very sweet. I've always just considered alcoholics developing diabetes and that (and now hearing about these cravings) as all somehow related. Maybe it even is related to our previous alcoholic beverages of choice? I was straight vodka.

ETA: Oh! I just remembered that when I had my year long of sobriety I drank diet coke like it was going out of style! Once again, fake sugar. But, maybe that trick worked for me since it tasted sweet...
Old 02-08-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Hi, I'm having a terrible problem with sugar/binge eating sweet stuff/vats of icecream which emerged at a later stage of sobriety. I've just passed 7 months. Really a problem which has coincided with a bad depressive episode in the last 6 or so weeks.

Just wonder what kind of alternative practitioner? Like a naturopath?
I'm feeling horrible and have tried without success so far to go cold turkey. It's like I need something to soothe my jangled brain but it seems like I've just replaced one problem with another.
So, naturopath, nutritionist?
Thanks.
The doctor I made an appt. with has a degree in biology, is a chiropractor, and a nutritional counselor. She believes in healing by diet and supplements, also she does "nutritional response testing" to see what your body is deficient in and sensitive too. I go on the 13th ,looking forward to it!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I've also been having some sugar cravings myself. Craving chewy gummy sweet candies like Sour patch, weird. I NEVER crave that stuff!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I never ate sweets at all until the last month (my last drink was Jan 9). Suddenly, like alexc, I'm drawn to sour gummy sweets. I can't get enough of them. Never before did I have any interest in these darn things. Now I would eat a bucket full if I had a bucket full. As it is, I've eaten a full bag every day for the past 10 days or so. I had almost two bags Friday night. I suppose I could try a bit of restraint at this point.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's bad. And I work in a grocery store. Crap