Notices

Caught in a funk

Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caught in a funk

Had to work a very large volunteer event yesterday, Saw an ex and her new bf. Even though I am in a very happy successful relationship it through me into a very very weird funk. Its a rainy day, I get to head into work late...just one of those days with a whole lot of triggers and I am worn down both emotionally and physically. Ugh
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Those are the days I repeat the Serenity Prayer often.

Look on the bright side, you have lots of new things to apply to the 4th & 10th Steps ...

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-14-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ddrayer, I am sorry that you are having a tough time right now. I am glad you posted about it. These tough days wont last. Breathe in and out and know that things could turn around at any moment. (((Hug)))
Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

Sober life does not mean no worries it just means dealing with them sober. you might want to pause and feel through some of the worst of the triggers. Is that what they call an inventory? On the run. all the best.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I am trying to learn from past mistakes. Coming here instead of to the liquor store when I feel that list of triggers piling up. I think even 2 months ago I wouldnt be sober right now with these silly things. I just feel the weight/guilt from my last 10 years pile up on me. This ex was an amazing talented person and my addiction wore her down and it was just a slap in the face with a delicious guilt sandwich seeing her again. Times I get so caught up in all the bad deeds of my life that it just seems insurmountable. But I know drinking won't help that an will just add another entry to the laundry list of guilt I already get to carry around.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Funks are things we have to work through. It's hard but in the end it's almost always a great learning experience.

Natom.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

When I run into an ex, all of those memories come flooding back. Ouch.

Hugs to you.

You keep moving forward and keep staying stopped!!!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi ddrayer and welcome. I too keep falling into these funk traps. Sometimes I find myself very bitter and angry at the world. But I know that the only reason I am feeling these is due to sobriety. We have used alcohol to bury emotions and feelings for so long that now that we are sober and they creep up we are not sure how to handle them.

But it's not all doom and gloom. One thing to keep in mind is that these are things that have happened and the past will keep coming back. But it just that, "the past". There is no sense dwelling on it and there certainly is no sense getting drunk about it. Depending on how severe your funks are, you may want to consider counseling or talk to a Priest or something. It is ok to feel sad about a relationship gone bad because we are emotional creatures and it is a good thing that you do feel sad or at least acknowledge some faults you may have done. It tells me that you are not shallow.

You deserve credit for being able to ride these emotional waves without going back to our dear old friend booze. Coping skills are something that I am still working on, and perhaps they are a life long skill that needs to be developed - I don't know for sure.

But what I do know is that I do need to own up to my faults and mistakes, but not beat myself into the ground. The past is the past and I cannot change it. I can change my future however.

Congratulations on keeping sober. You will become a stronger and more aware and caring person as you continue on this journey.

Be well and sober!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wore down a few people too...
But I had to go through what I did to get here...and 'here' is pretty good.

My exes have new relationships, they seem happy....and so am I.
The world is as it should be

D
Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys kept my self really busy today which is always a good coping mechanism in the short term for me. I am working on just letting the emotional tides come and go and to experience them. I am happy and happy she is happy so I need to focus on that as well. Caught me completely off guard as I wasn't expecting to see her/haven't seen her in a long long while. Coping is a new skill, and you're right so long I just drank the emotions down to nothingness it is hard to experience them.