Notices

The thought of life without alcohol...

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The thought of life without alcohol...

I've found that after a month or so, the thought of life without booze is becoming less and less daunting. It seems that while media, pop culture, etc. portray alcohol as an integral part of life, having fun, being social, etc., the reality is that a third of Americans are total abstainers. In my age group, that number is 27%. Surely, these people also have fun, have interests, have social lives, etc. It's comforting, at least for me, to know that we are are not part of some tiny minority of people who are just oblivious to how great and necessary alcohol is...

This is where the data came from - interesting...

U.S. Drinking Rate Edges Up Slightly to 25-Year High
Old 04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's very true. The media seem to feel the need to constantly portray alcohol in a certain light. Even drunks in films seem to be harmless, bumbling fun loving people, who bear little or no resemblance to real life. I can only think of one drunk in a film that was spot on in his mannerisms and pitiful state! There's so much more to life than drink. Heck, there's a whole world out there, and we only have a finite time to experience it, so we best get going and see as much of it as we can.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Any addictive habit is a way of avoiding looking at ourselves for some reason and stops us finding our true selves and our way in life.

It is hard to get to know yourself once you have been an addict, but it can and does happen...

Is it hot in Southern Spain :>?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought I'd never have an exciting day for the rest of my life sober. I'd never be able to watch or attend a sporting event again. Never be able to go to a party and have fun. Never be able to have a nice meal in a nice restaurant. Never enjoy a vacation again. All sunny summer days would be dull and boring.

All BS, I've done all of these things multiple times and have enjoyed them more than when I was drunk because the obession to get drunk wasn't there. I actually enjoy these events because alcohol isn't clouding my mind.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember the events I was at yesterday ... with gratitude, not fear.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
I thought I'd never have an exciting day for the rest of my life sober. I'd never be able to watch or attend a sporting event again. Never be able to go to a party and have fun. Never be able to have a nice meal in a nice restaurant. Never enjoy a vacation again. All sunny summer days would be dull and boring.

All BS, I've done all of these things multiple times and have enjoyed them more than when I was drunk because the obession to get drunk wasn't there. I actually enjoy these events because alcohol isn't clouding my mind.
Awesome post - these are the exact things I think about enjoying (without alcohol). Curious, how long into sobriety did you begin feeling that these activities were more enjoyable than while drunk/drinking?