Notices

Alcoholic's Wanted

Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic's Wanted

So here's the deal. I am struggling with sobriety and I want to get to an AA meeting but I have pretty serious agoraphobia at the moment from the years of abuse. Is there anyway to meet recovering alcoholics that can allow you to introduce yourselves and have them attend your first meeting with you? Maybe a website with trusted members or something? I am well versed on safety when it comes to meeting strangers, as I am in real estate and meet strangers regularly but I would like to meet someone before hand. Maybe for a coffee so that I can feel like I at least know 'someone' in the meeting to prevent me from fleeing and feeling foolish. Which would unfortunately probably damage any further attempt I make to go to an AA meeting in the future.

I really believe surrounding myself with people IRL who are recovering would help me to create a new set of friends, with people who understand what I'm going through, and wont be annoyed with my constant discussion about alcoholism... People who have never been an alcoholic, or are in denial just don't get it and often give me bad advice that keeps me in the loop.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes! I hear you can even call and ask for a ride. Do you have the local number?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do but I am not looking for a ride, ahaha I get squimish when other people drive. But meeting someone before hand and then meeting them there would really, really help. I will have to give them a call and see if they can arrange something like this for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, if you phone the AA hotline, someone will meet you there and go in with you. Lots of people do it that way. It's not a problem at all.

Good luck and enjoy the meeting x
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

'real estate and meet strangers regularly ' and 'serious agoraphobia' hmmm defo phone first and landline
Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Perhaps you have a local AA intergroup office you can call. They have members who can assist you. Remember when going to a meeting you don't have to say your an alcoholic, just say something like my name is Jane and I'm a friend of the program. BE WELL
Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beastactivity View Post
So here's the deal. I am struggling with sobriety and I want to get to an AA meeting but I have pretty serious agoraphobia at the moment from the years of abuse. Is there anyway to meet recovering alcoholics that can allow you to introduce yourselves and have them attend your first meeting with you? Maybe a website with trusted members or something? I am well versed on safety when it comes to meeting strangers, as I am in real estate and meet strangers regularly but I would like to meet someone before hand. Maybe for a coffee so that I can feel like I at least know 'someone' in the meeting to prevent me from fleeing and feeling foolish. Which would unfortunately probably damage any further attempt I make to go to an AA meeting in the future.

I really believe surrounding myself with people IRL who are recovering would help me to create a new set of friends, with people who understand what I'm going through, and wont be annoyed with my constant discussion about alcoholism... People who have never been an alcoholic, or are in denial just don't get it and often give me bad advice that keeps me in the loop.
Most of us were/are scared $hitless to attend meetings in the beginning.

If you call your local AA number in the phone book and told them how you feel I bet they would send someone to pick you up or call you.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pastispast View Post
'real estate and meet strangers regularly ' and 'serious agoraphobia' hmmm defo phone first and landline
Way to judge a book by its cover, ever think that maybe being agoraphobic is the reason I chose a career that allows me to pick and choose what I am comfortable with? Sorry for being snarky but yes, just because I dont like being in/around crowds of people does not mean I don't mind a small family of 2-4 people that I may have to see a few times to settle a transaction.