Notices

Al anon

Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al anon

So I have recently discover my boyfriend relapsed. I am very interested in going to al anon/ Nar anon. But when I told him he suggested he go with me for a couple times. Should I allow this?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my (admittedly limited) experience, Alanon meetings are for the relatives/friends of the alcoholic and the alcoholic would not go to the regular meetings.

There are meetings referred to as "open" meetings, and these are for both AA and Alanon participation, but you would want to make sure the meeting you were going to attend was an open one before bringing him along.

The point in separating the AAs and Alanons, as I understand it, is that it is difficult to speak freely when your A is sitting right there, and that makes total sense to me.

Am sure you will hear from others w/more experience than I, but my feeling would be that your boyfriend should attend his own meetings and you attend yours w/the exception of the "open" meetings (on my local website, open meetings are marked as such), which you could certainly attend together.

Good for you for taking this step for yourself!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just a thought--you might want to post over in the "Family and Friends" portion of the forum. You may get more responses over there.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amniwe View Post
So I have recently discover my boyfriend relapsed. I am very interested in going to al anon/ Nar anon. But when I told him he suggested he go with me for a couple times. Should I allow this?
Nah