Notices

Im only 24 so people arent supportive of my quitting

Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm not 24 but am relatively young and sympathize with your predicament. However, it is your life and your choice about what to do what is best for you. Drinking buddies come and go like the wind and to be honest, I have found that most or all of them really don't care about you - otherwise, they wouldn't want you to drink when you know you have a problem!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Rogue Giant

thank you

you are all amazing and i thank every one of you for being there for me. im new here but you all have supported me like nobody else has. im dumping out the "stash" of booze right now and im gonna try as long as you all try with me. ill check in everyday and i swear on my God ill tell you the truth, good or bad. thank you.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roguegiant27 View Post
So in the last 2 years i typically haven't drank every single night but when i did drink, it didn't stop until i blacked out and woke up on my bathroom floor. I tried AA but each meeting i attended i was looked at like a child who just partied too much. Im not seeking validation from these meetings that i have a problem but i would like to have my quitting be taken seriously.

Friends also dont seem to understand the gravity of my addiction and the consequences i face due to it. Ive had some weeks sober here and there but im giving it an honest effort again and want so badly to shake this devil off my back.

Has anyone else faced ridicule or condescending remarks when your desire to find support went public?
Try not to form your future decisions based on any past experience.

I was only 23 when I first came to AA and people said I wasn't an alcoholic when I took off time to go to treatment at work.

I couldn't be, being so young, right?

Wrong.

Now, over twenty years later, I wish I didn't believe myself or anyone else, and stayed sober my whole life instead of throwing so much of it away with booze.

You know your own truth.

We can be sober regardless of anyone or anything.

Keep seeking.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The forum: Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

is a great place to discuss alternative programs for recovery than the 12step programs.

Overwhelmingly AA groups are supportive of young adults. 24 yrs is really not that young anymore in today's age. I showed up at AA when I was 19 and that was thirty years ago.

Most alcoholics are overly sensitive and find many reasons to deny themselves perfect opportunities to recover, like claiming people don't accept them, but really the majority do accept them.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Rogue Giant

So i dont know whos subscribed to this post but i just wanted to update anyone who is, that im still sober and doing pretty well. Keeping myself busy tuning the car and throwing myself into my art. Again, thanks so much to everyone here.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This is great and really inspirational to hear, thanks for the update and glad to hear you are doing well!