Notices

On day 2 no real withdrawals? Am I alcoholic?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On day 2 no real withdrawals? Am I alcoholic?

I'm trying to decide if i'm an alcoholic or a heavy drinker? Today is my second day and i feel totally fine, pretty good mood, had good day at work.... It was slightly hard to fall asleep last night, but besides that no withdrawal. After a good day i'm debating having a beer or two as it's friday night. I'm thinking a good thing I could try would be never drinking consecutive days. Completely sober yesterday, was thinking few beers tonight, then be completely sober tomorrow?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Hey Magnum

The only person that can answer that question is you, tbh.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many of the symptoms will depend on the individual, and how much they've consumed on a regular basis. Someone who's quitting but consumed a relatively small amount day after day may have few to no symptoms. Others will be quite different.

There is one cautionary note that I'd mention right away. I tried quitting a little while ago, and again a few times before that, and before that, and... I got to three days, then like you mentioned (being relieved that I could stop) I decided to start up again. Granted, I maybe didn't consume that much (on average, 4 per day). However the evidence is clear that will cause health issues. Not to mention the times that it wasn't just 4 and I woke up on the bathroom floor. Fortunately, that was rare, but all together I've decided that alcohol is not welcome in my life anymore, it never did me any good and it was only an escape from dealing with what I needed to deal with. From all of those times I tried to stop only to start again, thinking moderation would work for me, I finally realized that quitting for good would be the best answer.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I remember when I used to feel good after one or two days off. It was only two years ago.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172 View Post
Many of the symptoms will depend on the individual, and how much they've consumed on a regular basis. Someone who's quitting but consumed a relatively small amount day after day may have few to no symptoms. Others will be quite different.

There is one cautionary note that I'd mention right away. I tried quitting a little while ago, and again a few times before that, and before that, and... I got to three days, then like you mentioned (being relieved that I could stop) I decided to start up again. Granted, I maybe didn't consume that much (on average, 4 per day). However the evidence is clear that will cause health issues. Not to mention the times that it wasn't just 4 and I woke up on the bathroom floor. Fortunately, that was rare, but all together I've decided that alcohol is not welcome in my life anymore, it never did me any good and it was only an escape from dealing with what I needed to deal with. From all of those times I tried to stop only to start again, thinking moderation would work for me, I finally realized that quitting for good would be the best answer.
I find it kind of boring being sober on a friday night, maybe i just need a more fulfilled night, but i used to love having a few beers after work relaxing and playing some Battlefield 3
Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I remember when I used to feel good after one or two days off. It was only two years ago.
do you still just take one or two days off? or completely abstain now?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wouldn't get caught up in labels. Rather, you should ask yourslef if your drinking is causing you any problems at all? IMO, if you suspect you have a problem, you do have a problem.

Try taking the Alcohol Abuse Self Test
Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I wouldn't get caught up in labels. Rather, you should ask yourslef if your drinking is causing you any problems at all? IMO, if you suspect you have a problem, you do have a problem.
+100000

Outstanding post!

I completely forgot about those... I did a couple tests like that. When I answered "yes" to 50% of the questions, I could no longer deny to myself that I needed to make a change.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Stopping isn't a problem. Staying completely stopped is a problem if you can't stay completely stopped.

My alcoholism is defined as not being able to live without drinking.

3 days is nothing, give yourself 30-days and see if you can stay stopped. If staying stopped it too difficult, then there could be a problem.

Yes, I know you are on your second day, so can you go 90 days without alcohol being an issue?

There are solutions available.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by magnum102 View Post
do you still just take one or two days off? or completely abstain now?
Within two years I went from 2x a week to everyday. I finally had the realization all I wanted to do was drink. I completely understood if I kept going my whole life was about to fall apart. It was like it just let me go for an instant and I ran. I want nothing more to do with it. It terrifies me that I might relapse and go back there. Two years ago I would not have thought to quit, it was still fun. It have heard that an alcoholics brain will say "You can't quit or you will die." My brain said "run or you will die." So maybe I am not an alcoholic by that definition. It will destroy me just the same.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't fall into the trap of judging your problem by the quality of your withdrawals, magnum.

I've had good withdrawals and bad ones...I clearly had a drinking problem throughout, so I don't think any result was necessarily any indication of whether I had a problem or not.

D
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Stopping isn't a problem. Staying completely stopped is a problem if you can't stay completely stopped.

My alcoholism is defined as not being able to live without drinking.

3 days is nothing, give yourself 30-days and see if you can stay stopped. If staying stopped it too difficult, then there could be a problem.

Yes, I know you are on your second day, so can you go 90 days without alcohol being an issue?

There are solutions available.
I have done a month before and could do 90 days, but I find it enjoyable when I do drink responsibly because it's relaxing to get a buzz and enjoy yourself. I just hate the few times when i drink consecutive days or on weekdays
Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't have withdrawals really until I turned 30... And I was a regular binge drinker. At 31 I graduated from a 6 pack on Friday night to a 6 pack nightly. A year later it was a six pack or more nightly and a 12 on the weekends. That was my base drinking... Doesn't include shots, wine, and hours of foolishness and wrecking my body. Long story short I went from being a self diagnosed problem drinker to couldn't control it and terrible withdrawals within the course of 3 years. It hit me fast. Very fast. In my opinion, follow your heart and common sense. You logged in here because something worried you. It might be foreshadowing... Be careful.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to cling to the few times I drank responsibly too - they were far better memories than the many many times I didn't manage to keep control.

the few good times became fewer and the the bad times became greater as the years went on.

Noone can convince you to stop if you don;t want to - but you won't find anyone here who doesn't wish they'd stopped years earlier either

D
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm trying to decide if i'm an alcoholic or a heavy drinker?
What consequences have you had from your drinking?

Wanna take the 20 questions?

Alcoholism Screening Quiz
Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
I didn't have withdrawals really until I turned 30... And I was a regular binge drinker. At 31 I graduated from a 6 pack on Friday night to a 6 pack nightly. A year later it was a six pack or more nightly and a 12 on the weekends. That was my base drinking... Doesn't include shots, wine, and hours of foolishness and wrecking my body. Long story short I went from being a self diagnosed problem drinker to couldn't control it and terrible withdrawals within the course of 3 years. It hit me fast. Very fast. In my opinion, follow your heart and common sense. You logged in here because something worried you. It might be foreshadowing... Be careful.
great response! I'm 29 BTW. I'm someone who has to think about alcohol for the rest of my life, jealous of people that it's never an issue at all, but I can take days off, don't feel the need to have a drink in the morning, I run probably 20 miles a week. I think I just need to think harder about my drinking and like you said be careful
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

great response! I'm 29 BTW. I'm someone who has to think about alcohol for the rest of my life, jealous of people that it's never an issue at all, but I can take days off, don't feel the need to have a drink in the morning, I run probably 20 miles a week. I think I just need to think harder about my drinking and like you said be careful
At 29 I was running 25 miles/week. Still do. I would run before drinking to justify the caloric intake and as an excuse to drink more. "if I'm running 5 miles a day I can toss em' back... Right" my 30 year old physical was fine. I checked out great and my doc said you're in great shape. Keep doing what you're doing.

Again, I just turned 33. When I was 29 I could have slowed down and stopped. I didn't. I held on to my college drinking all the way to getting loaded before UT games...

I am a firm believer my body changed. My mind changed. I went from the guy that would have 6 on Friday with his buddies and the Pancake House for breakfast on Saturday... To the guy that would have 6 on Friday, couldn't stop, and kept going Saturday morning. Only in the past two years have I realized I do go through withdrawals coming off alcohol. Not a hangover... Withdrawals. So, I decided enough is enough. And for me... A what's the point mentality. I also have a young family and want to set a better example for my children.

Even in new sobriety my running is better, my kayaking is better, I feel healthier, I get more out of the weekends... And it's rejuvenated the mentality of a 33 year old who at 29 started really struggling to "hang on to the party"...

And I'm more excited about life. Like I said, be careful. I know quite a few my age (33-35) who are now saying "maybe I should quit..."...
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Now is a great time to stay stopped for 90 days. Or even one year. I dare ya to do it!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Buckle up. The spiral happens fast. One day I'm living it up at beer events and hanging out at breweries to sneaking pulls from my wife's vodka bottle and chugging beers in the garage during Thanksgiving. Maybe you still got a few years. Or maybe you'll win. Drinking is progressive though so the longer you drink a certain way the harder it is to regress. That all said you're in the drivers seat. I recommend bailing sooner than later. That's kinda what I did. I've avoided a lot of horrors that you read about on here. But make no mistake, I was on my way. Take care of yourself.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Bottom line for me is that I can't drink responsibly. One drink and I am done. I will continue on till the bottle or bottles are finished. I basically have no off switch.