Notices

Restless, irritable and discontent

Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless, irritable and discontent

I am all of these things today and I can't put my finger on what the exact cause is. I just know I can't seem to stay focused on anything for any length of time. My co-workers are getting on my nerves and I feel very lonely. I just want to be someplace else but here (but can't because I am at work).

I am almost 6 months sober and am working on my 3rd step. I attend meetings daily.

What does everyone do when they are feeling this way?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Feel
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I felt the same thing in early recovery (and yes, six months is early). Someone here had me look up PAWS--Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome. Helped me to know I wasn't going crazy or going to relapse.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

These feelings will pass. That is what is great about feelings, they are not permanent. Feel your way through today, and know that tomorrow will be a whole new day. Maybe go for a quick walk around the block. Get some air. If you find that these feelings stay with you over time, its time for a change, internally, externally....
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've found that just accepting the emotions helps. I think Grymt's comment was on point--sometimes you just have to let yourself "feel" the emotions you're having. Then just ride it out. I also try to avoid as many people as possible; otherwise, I would probably treat them poorly in some way.

People who have never had addiction problems feel this way from time to time. Your current episode may have something to do with your recovery or it may just be "one of those days". I tend to accept these things as part of the human condition.

I also suggest a nice brisk walk when you get off work. Try to make it a priority, as it will work out some of the "irritable" kinks and almost certainly make you feel better. Personally, I think AA should add another step: one that emphasizes the importance of daily exercise--I suspect most of us do not understand how much exercise can help someone in recovery.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Walking can also be seen as a way of achieving a balance.
The right side of the brain controls the left side and the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body.
Rhythmically, upright walking shifts the mind in a rhythm that aids achieving a focused and balanced mind. Some call an awareness of this mindful walking.
There is also mindful sitting and mindful lying down and mindful standing.

Of course driving and such like needs to be a mindfulness of the outer first. Cars are hard and heavy.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I'm usually having difficulty accepting
people, places or things just the way they are
suppose to be then im restless, irritable or
discontent within myself. Practicing acceptance
is a lesson I needed to learn then and continue
to now in order to remain happy and content in
recovery and life.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally3127 View Post
I am all of these things today and I can't put my finger on what the exact cause is. I just know I can't seem to stay focused on anything for any length of time. My co-workers are getting on my nerves and I feel very lonely. I just want to be someplace else but here (but can't because I am at work).

I am almost 6 months sober and am working on my 3rd step. I attend meetings daily.

What does everyone do when they are feeling this way?
Been there many times Sally. I went to the washroom and prayed, then prayed again. I asked God to get me through the day without lashing out until I could get to the meeting that night. I kept my AA tokens in my pocket and got them out and held them in my hand.

I called an AA buddy just to check in if I had the opportunity (Sally says on phone "Hi Karen, I'm having a Hell of a day.. nothing is right". Karen says "Hi Sally, those days can really be painful, can't they? God loves you and I love you. Tell us all about it at the meeting tonight" Sally says "Thanks, Karen, I look forward to seeing all your friendly faces ... see you tonight")

God loves you and I love you and your sponsor Karen (I picked a name) loves you. My day isn't a bed of roses either and I'll tell you all about it at the meeting

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Just except your having a bad day recovery or not people have bad days sometimes and feel that way. I always find exercise a great mood changer. Hope tommorow is better.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My restless, irritability and discontent flew out the window at lunch today. Feeling the way that I did I decided to go outside for lunch but first went into the restroom to wash my hands. As I was leaving the door swung open and one of my co-workers came in crying. She had just found out her mother's cancer had spread and she was heading out to the hospital to discuss hospice care. Of course I hugged her, extended my sympathies and told her I would pray for her. I know that was God working in my life. He was showing me that there are so many others who are suffering, no matter if they are in recovery or not.

What an awesome experience for me. God is definitely working in my life.

Thanks to all for their comments and support.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Get through steps 4-9

The third step is a decision to move on with the program of action, steps 4-12.

Stick with the fellowship and keep talking to people
Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally3127 View Post
My restless, irritability and discontent flew out the window at lunch today. Feeling the way that I did I decided to go outside for lunch but first went into the restroom to wash my hands. As I was leaving the door swung open and one of my co-workers came in crying. She had just found out her mother's cancer had spread and she was heading out to the hospital to discuss hospice care. Of course I hugged her, extended my sympathies and told her I would pray for her. I know that was God working in my life. He was showing me that there are so many others who are suffering, no matter if they are in recovery or not.

What an awesome experience for me. God is definitely working in my life.

Thanks to all for their comments and support.
Nothing gets me feeling better than to help someone else. Cool beans !!

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful member

These feelings remind us that we are alcoholics. Just like being at a meeting reminds us these feelings can also be a blessing. Why do I feel this way? Because I am in recovery. If I felt "good" all the time I might forget I need my Higher Power to sustain me in recovery.