Notices

Reading last night

Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading last night

So, I was reading this book last night, and it got to a point where the woman was boarding a plane, and then having multiple drinks on the plane......
I literally started to sweat, I had to put the book down and fight back the need to bury myself under my bed. I'm thinking that traveling on a plane, reading about traveling on a plane, and all things involving planes are off the map right now. So, I might skip ahead in the book or get rid of it. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I definitely have mental associations to drinking, also. I am working to 'reprogram' my head so that those actions/memories don't automatically start me thinking about alcohol. I don't feel like it would make me drink - I just don't want to sit around thinking about not drinking.

Incrementally, we get stronger. How cool is that?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I definitely have mental associations to drinking, also. I am working to 'reprogram' my head so that those actions/memories don't automatically start me thinking about alcohol. I don't feel like it would make me drink - I just don't want to sit around thinking about not drinking.

Incrementally, we get stronger. How cool is that?
The mental association involved was my flipping out on a flight after drinking WAY to much. This was my last drink. The shame still resonates deeply. So, I guess i am grateful for the reading. A little reminder of what exactly Alcohol can do to me.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah - I bet that one hit a little too close to home.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Mizz! I just got done reading your original post from the plane ride... I think these reminders keep us focused on the task at hand- sobriety! I get earth shaking reminders, and I thank the universe for the oh so blunt delivery Make sure to remind yourself today that you are a beautiful, strong woman... And your awesome!