Notices

feel very sad

Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy feel very sad

Hello all I am nearly 7 weeks sober. I have been going to AA meetings for about 6 weeks.
I have found it reasonabley easy to not drink no withdrawel symptoms.
I have just got back from a long weekend away with friends and family and I coped ok during the weekend but when I have come to unpack my case I got a massive sad feeling and wanted to cry big time. I havenot felt like this since stopping drinking. I used to cry when I got very drunk when I was on my own. Is this normal
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, very normal. In early recovery your body and brain are healing and getting back to normal functioning so you will have ups and downs for a while. Stay sober and treat yourself well; good food, plenty of rest, and moderate exercise, and you'll start feeling better.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi icemanmaz! Sure, I think its perfectly normal. My emotions were all over the place, especially in early sobriety, when I was around drinking. Seems like I was having a constant battle in my head. Hang in there it does get better.

Congratulations on 7 weeks!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YES! least is correct. For the first couple of days I was a huge emotion ball and being a guy this caught me off guard haha.

We've used booze (or whatever your choice of poison is) as a tool to blank our brains. Without the booze, the brain is re-connecting old circuits and during this rebuild things may come up. Don't fear them, learn to understand them and if need be, fix them.

As each day passes, you will feel better. Just be kind to yourself, embrace the emotions that you may be feeling. One day at a time and you'll be AOK!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply guys I dont have a sponser yet so feel a bit alone in this new place.
Can't wait until I can get to another meeting they always seem to pick me up andmake me feel posotive.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I cried a lot in the beginning .. often at the drop of a hat.

Get an AA Home Group, get a sponsor and get active. You will thank yourself later.

You will need your sponsor and the oldtimers to help you sort out your feelings and emotions.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just want to say congratulations on 7 weeks.

That's really good. AND you went away for a long weekend and didn't drink. That's really good too.

I'd like to suggest that, if you still feel depressed and weepy after a couple more weeks you might want to talk to a doctor about it. You never know. Maybe you've got an underlying depression that needs to be addressed.