Notices

Need to get sober.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to get sober.

I've been drinking since highschool, which was about 17 years ago. It started innocently enough and has gotten to the point now where I binge drink 2-3 nights a week. I have some weeks where I drink even up to 5 nights. It s gotten worse lately. I should mention I have. Son who is 15 months old. I stopped drinking all through pregnancy and for about 8 months after because I was nursing. I thought I could have a girls night out and drink and be in control. Of course, now I'm back where I was before I was pregnant. I never should have had that first drink again. I've also started smoking again which I had also quit after getting pregnant. Today, I have not drank or smoked in 2 days 15 hours. Part of me wishes I could get pregnant again and know not to take that first drink on the downward spiral.

I would also like to try AA but am nervous about going. I'm nervous about trying anything new. Also, I'm a stay at home mom and find meeting times hard to attend since I can't take him.

Last edited by Veatch; 03-25-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veatch View Post
I've been drinking since highschool, which was about 17 years ago. It started innocently enough and has gotten to the point now where I binge drink 2-3 nights a week. I have some weeks where I drink even up to 5 nights. It s gotten worse lately. I should mention I have. Son who is 15 months old. I stopped drinking all through pregnancy and for about 8 months after because I was nursing. I thought I could have a girls night out and drink and be in control. Of course, now I'm back where I was before I was pregnant. I never should have had that first drink again. I've also started smoking again which I had also quit after getting pregnant. Today, I have not drank or smoked in 2 days 15 hours. Part of me wishes I could get pregnant again and know not to take that first drink on the downward spiral.

I would also like to try AA but am nervous about going. I'm nervous about trying anything new. Also, I'm a stay at home mom and find meeting times hard to attend since I can't take him.

Waking up at 6-7am with a toddler when you're hung over is reason enough to quit....

Also on the quitting smoking thing.... trust me.... it's heart breaking when you're toddlers start grabbing pens and pretending to smoke like mom and dad. It's best to avoid that all together...
Old 03-25-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I imagine that over the years you have tried pretty well everything to get the booze off your back. I did as well.

I found the only thing for an alcoholic like me was AA ... and I gave the rest of my options a good try.

Everyone is nervous about going at first but most feel right at home very soon. AAs are great people (and the door is never locked)

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Veatch I am sure that SR will be invaluable to you if you are at home a lot and have computer access. I am pretty sure you can do online meetings too x
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This site is a good start Veatch. You may want or need additional help, but making a commitment to get sober, then reading and posting here is very helpful IMO. You'll find that many of us are just starting, and everyone is very supportive and not judgmental.

Reading and posting here could give you a little breathing room until you figure out which direction you want to take (AA or other resources).

Also, I think if you read through some of the stories here, you will see that many of the long-time sober members were in much worse shape than many of us and if they can do it we can to.