Notices

New to the forum

Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the forum

Hi,
I just signed up for the forum. I've been drinking heavily for about 20 years, and recently quit (again). I've been through the DUI's, the court mandated AA meetings, feeling sorry for myself and helpless, feeling angry with myself for being so weak, etc. I'm sure you all know the drill. I've quit cold turkey multiple times, tried to wean myself off, and used naltrexone to quit before with varying degrees of failure. I quit again a few weeks ago, but I'm having problems with staying sober. My problem isn't so much that I want to drink, it's that I sleep an average of 2 hours a night if I'm sober. Alcohol has always been my off switch. I'm bored and sick of staring at the same four walls every night. I lost myself along the way, burning bridge after bridge, pushing everyone away, and I don't know who I am. I don't have any interests, and I don't know what to do. I try to look at it as an opportunity to become someone new, someone I like, but it is hard to keep this view up when running on empty 22 hours a day, and I don't know where to begin. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a bit - any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I recently resorted to herbal tea. I have a hard time switching off and can easily stay up all night. I hate any kind of sleeping pill. Always wake up groggier than when I drank.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My sleep leveled out after a month or so. I know it's tough but it takes time for the body & mind to regulate. I kept busy when I was up at night by reading/ posting here, watching movies & reading recovery books. Getting and staying sober has taught me the beautiful lesson of patience & I'm still learning. Hang in there & welcome to sr
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome lostalongtheway

I think you could do a lot worse than reading and posting here - you'll find a lot of support, and a few ideas too

D
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your replies - I have a hard time asking for help and it means a lot that anyone would care enough to respond. My life has gone sideways lately after a house fire (among other issues), and my drinking increased dramatically. I found myself unable to drink enough to stay knocked out for more than a few hours, then I was awake and drunk for hours before going to work and finally sobering up around noon, only to spend the afternoon waiting to get home and wait until the kids go to bed to start over again. I've almost always been a high functioning drunk, holding down a great job and family, only drinking at night and sobering up in time to get to work. I can't maintain the job and family (not to mention my health) if I keep drinking at that rate, so I don't have any choice but to quit. I know I have to re-invent myself to maintain, as I was sober for several months about a year ago, and what finally drove me back to the bottle was not just the boredom of being up all night, but the complete lack of any social contact or sense of self.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-18-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Drinking and not sleeping are two different issues. You are addressing your drink issue by quitting. That's great.

You don't address your problem sleeping by drinking. You see a doctor, or read the hundreds of articles that address insomnia. Don't turn it into a reason to drink.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome.

Without knowing your current health of course I would recommend going to get a physical before embarking on the following, but here is what helps me get to sleep at night.

I wake up at 5 AM each day and do a vigorous workout at the gym (For me that means running a 5K, then doing 1/2 hour on the elliptical, and also 1/2 hour of weights--not everyday for weights, maybe every other). And then I go about my day and do the usual stuff.

I find that by 9 or 10 PM I am quite ready to go to bed. I don't always sleep through the night--but I get way more sleep this way than even when I was drinking at night to make sure I got some sleep.

Doing this instead of drinking each night means I have also lost 25 lbs or so since quitting drinking.

Just wanted to share my personal experience and to welcome you to the board!

Keep reading and posting
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome !

Your at the right place! I had serious problem with insomnia for many years. I couldn't fall asleep and I would wake up like I was high on speed. I tried everything and feeling scared that I would develop an addiction to sleeping pills, I decided to stop and consult my yoga teacher. She happened to believe highly of bouddishm and meditation. She thought me some of the techniques and I started practicing every morning and night. This was a big deal for me because I never believed in these thing before.

Well 1 1/2 months after, I was able to fall asleep on my own , 15 minutes after I went to bed. I stay asleep until 6-7 so like 7-8 hours per night.

I am now trying to use these techniques to help me with my alcohol addiction. So far it has help with the withdrawal symptom.

Before dismissing the idea, I would recommend you look at you meditation on YouTube and try it out !

Good luck and reach out anytime!

Prion
Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I can sure relate to the emptiness that you are feeling right now. I completely lost myself in my husband, family and job and I felt like a shell of a person when I stopped drinking. I was a shell of a person. I was blessed to get into a volunteer job that began to restore my self-esteem and helped me to meet some amazing women. I think if you can find something to do that takes you outside of yourself, you will begin to heal.