Notices

Still fear DT's

Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still fear DT's

I've been abusing alcohol/beer for almost 3 years. Abuse meaning a case a day. There have a few stints of sobriety, possibly one to two weeks during this time. I quit drinking Monday around 11:00 so it's been almost 3 days. I'm suffering from insomnia because I'm afraid to fall asleep. I've read so many things about DT's that I've scared myself. Can anybody tell me, is it possible to have withdrawl; itchy skin, swimmy head, headache, fatique, etc. yet still end up with seizure risk 3 days later?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Mimdaz, Welcome to SR and congratulations for making it for 3 days. As you would have seen in many posts, withdrawals from Alcohol, must be taken seriously. You should visit a Doctor ( GP ) and he will just do the physical examination, BP etc. He might give you some medications to ease the withdrawals and that way, you will be able to go through safe detox. Many of us have made this mistake of not going Doctor in the past. Please believe us. The doc won't give you a piercing stare when you announce what you are trying to do.. He will be supportive and will help you.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm already taking Welbutrin and Zoloft for anxiety. My Doc also put me on Clonidine for anxiety and BP. I detoxed from 6 years of Ativan use, inpatient medical care, over 6 years ago and have never looked back. Ativan was perscribed with a GP's promise that it wasn't an adictive drug. That was almost 12 years ago. It's my understanding that Ativan and other Benzo's are what's given for alcohol withdrawl. I'm not sure what else a Doc can do for me.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Detoxing from alcohol at home can be very dangerous and it is something to be nervous about. See a doctor.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do not play with DT's AT ALL. They can be fatal very easily especially if you have underlying medical conditions. Call your Dr or go to the hospital if you have any doubts. In fact just call your Dr to be safe. We are glad to have you on the site and please keep us updated on your progress.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

It's true. But it is important to see a DR. A complete pathology is surely needed. I've learned it is not right to dispense medical advice here. In my experience the worst of the dt's are over after three days if I nourish myself and rest. I would immediately seek medical advice if I thought there was a reason to do so in instances like this.

edit add posted in response to posts re benzos.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Can ya talk with a doctor? I t may ease your mind a bit.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mimdaz

The DTs are actually a specific kind of acute withdrawal and something quite different to normal withdrawal.

That being said any kind of alcohol withdrawal can be risky and detox has ended up a little tricky for some of us.

Your symptoms sounds pretty familiar to me tho. Here's a link to other members experiences of detox:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I agree with those who said, if you're worried to see a Dr. It's the safest and most responsible thing to do.

D
Old 03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder to other members that we cannot give medical advice here. I have removed some posts.

D
Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I cant give medical advise. But I can tell you I also had those fears, which is why I choose (With much encouragement & begging from my loved ones)
to go into a medical detox/treatment.
I needed librium for 5-6 days to stop the shakes & night sweats, etc.
I tried at home too many times & like you could not sleep & anxiety to the roof!

I wish you all the best & so glad you reached out & are ready for help!
Peace
~Jules