Notices

day one

Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day one

im glad i found this forum, as im not a fan of traditional AA. im 34 years old, ive always had a drinking problem, but i thought i discovered the secret. wine. keeps me mellow, (at first) and recently my life has crumbled and im not the same person i was when i was sober. it was a gradual process, and i didnt even realize what happened, what the problem was, until this morning. waking up in an empty house has given me time to think. so there it is, im determined to get my life back
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome elizabethmarie

yes - it creeps up on you and changes you by increments...I hated the man I'd become and I didn't even know when it happened.

You'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I joined last night, basically because I DID NOT want to wake up to an empty house, which is what will happen if I don't straighten out my act. You'll find many wise folks in this community.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Elizabethmarie and welcome, come and join us in the March Class where a lot of us are supporting each other to remain sober.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Welcome to the lifeboat. Grab an oar and we'll all pull together.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the secret. wine. keeps me mellow, (at first) and recently my life has crumbled and im not the same person i was when i was sober. it was a gradual process, and i didnt even realize what happened,

That's exactly me Elizabethmarie, and exatly how Dee has described it.

Welcome. Plenty of support here. I'm 3 weeks off the wine. This site has been my rock. Best wishes
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wine made me mellow, too... Until I started opening the second bottle at night only to find myself drinking the rest of the bottle for breakfast. It was a slippery slope from sipping a nice glass to chug chug chugging. Welcome to SR. It's been an amazing tool for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, Elizabethmarie! It's wonderful you joined us - we understand just how you feel. Congratulations for taking the first step towards reclaiming your life. We know you can do it.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome elizabeth! Yup, I can relate to it creeping in...I still sometimes think "How did I ever let it get so far?" The great thing is, it can stop here
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Elizabeth and welcome!! And congratulations!! Today is my day 1 as well

The people here are amazing, dare I say life changing!! Take some time and read some stories and reply's, it will break your heart, but give you strength!!

You are on a new journey in your life, you will not regret it!!

Jim
Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep, me too with the wine. After binging on beer every weekend was getting less and less attractive, I decided to switch to wine because it made me feel both relaxed and sexy.

But as Paddler said, sip, sip sip went to chug, chug, chug in short order. When I started contemplating how my Chardonnay would go with my cornflakes in the morning, I knew I was in trouble. Took me another few years of black outs and complete personality changes (which I didn't recall b/c I was blacked out) to realize there was nothing mellow or sexy about me and wine any longer.

Good news is that you CAN get your life back. Being here helps. A ton.

Welcome!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank u all for the kind words and support!!!!! Yes, I switched from vodka to wine, and felt more classy, but ended up with mini wine bottles in my purse to bring to work. And/or drinking a bit at 10:00 am before work. I'm on day 2 now, and feeling hopeful. Reading books, and my house is spotless . Thank u all again, I really appreciate the support.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to bring those mini wine bottles to parties so I could drink more without people noticing how much I was REALLY drinking. Would stash them in my bag and refill in the bathroom. Can't believe I did that! Then my friends would say, "wow, you are such a lightweight" Unbelievable.

Cleaning and reading were big for me too..really filled up the time I used to spend drinking. And they still do...It's so nice to have a clean house isn't it? Like REALLY clean lol
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My house is cleanest it's been in years!!! Already have plans for tomorrow's project. Fridge n freezer. Empty and organize. And it feels nice to be able to read at bedtime. I don't see double anymore, I can actually see the words . I love that quote, the movie starts when the girl gets sober and puts her life back together. Thank u
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh those mini wine bottles! I did the same (stashing them in my purse, stashing them in my car, stashing them in the pockets of my robe in the morning...).

QuitforMe: Yep, used to bring them to parties too and do the refills and people would say, "How can you be so bombed after only three (TWENTY!!!) glasses of wine?"

Cleaning is a big thing and yes, reading without holding one hand over an eye is great. Remembering what I read is even better!

Congrats again on Day 2 Elizabeth, I hit one month tomorrow and it does most definitely get easier. Beyond the clean house, there are tons of other things to look forward to.

Welcome again, this is a great place to be sober.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats for coming to this decision. Everyone has a "day 1". Hold on tight and keep sobriety and recovery at the forefront of your life right now, it really does need your undivided attention - this is time for you to focus on YOU. All the best, keep posting!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Elizabethmarie and others that just joined us!!

We are/were all looking for that "secret". I think the secret is just to stop. There is no magic solution that can make most of us normal drinkers. As soon as you give up that idea and stop looking for the mythical formula it gets much easier to deal with.

I find the person that I used to be coming out more each month since I quit. It's like welcoming back an old friend that you haven't seen in a long while. You do feel like you're getting your life back because you are. Alcohol and drugs hold us hostage.