Notices

Do you smoke?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I smoke but I feel like I can take it or leave it. I buy a pack as a "treat" every now and then. I like smoking a cig on the drive into work in the morning. But months can go by between packs.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sometimes I wonder if this type of thread isn't set up as some kind of advertising ploy by the e-cig folks. Either way, it's a smart thing to do and/or just good honest advice...I think I'm going to try those e-cigs, then again it would be nice just to quit all together!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sorry, I did not save the link, but I read a disturbing article recently about potential health risks associated with e-cigs. I don't remember the specifics... something about the nicotine dose. Just because it's not inhaled doesn't mean it's not dangerous. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I quit a couple of weeks ago. I smoked 50 - 60 cigarettes a day. I did everything but shower with one in my mouth. I used Chantix. It does help. It does have side effects. One of the reasons I completely stopped was so I could quit taking Chantix.
Allen Carrs book bored the hell out of me. I swear the author is afraid of his wife. I got so tired of the references to her. I never finished the book. I will send it to anyone who wants it.
I loved cigarettes. I still love cigarettes. I have an e-cig but I am afraid to bring nicotine back for fear I will start back on the Marlboros again.
I do breathe deeper and my cough is gone. That is great! At $6.00 a pack for 3 packs a day I am saving a ton of money.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberSilvia View Post
Sorry, I did not save the link, but I read a disturbing article recently about potential health risks associated with e-cigs. I don't remember the specifics... something about the nicotine dose. Just because it's not inhaled doesn't mean it's not dangerous. Good luck!
Nicotine is nicotine. It's a drug and of course is going to pose health risks no matter how it is absorbed into your body.

Are you referring to the report that a compound found in anti-freeze is used in e-cigs? Or something of that nature?

Although I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to cigarette ingredients, I did a bit of research and hear that when you break it down, over 4,000 (or something equally rediculous) chemical compounds are created by a single burning cigarette, a lot of which are cancer causing. My PERSONAL opinion is that whatever chemicals you may find in an e-cig, you are almost guarunteed to find in a cigarette ten times over.

Now, I'm by no means saying that it's healthy or that a non smoker should go and pick one up for the hell of it, or even that it's better than giving it up altogether, but IMPO if I had a gun to my head (which, being a heavy smoker I kinda do...) I think the e-cig would be the better option.

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I used Chantix. It does help.
I've been on Champix (Aussie name for Chantix) 5 times in the last 5 years. For the 12 week program I was a non smoker for about the final 8 weeks each time. As soon as I finish the program I'm straight back to smoking *sigh*

At $6.00 a pack for 3 packs a day I am saving a ton of money.
$6 a pack!?!? I'm assuming that's for a pack of 20... Here you pay more than twice that. I'm paying $21 for a pack of 25.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The e-cigarette has given me weird feelings like I can't get a deep breath and pulsating veins in odd places (i.e. cheek) I guess because I'm getting too much nicotine? I never got that feeling from real cigarettes. It still doesn't feel as bad as real ones, though. I use njoy king and they will send you a free one to try on their website. Ha, thats funny what bigsombrero said about the advertising - I've thought that about certain things on here, too. I think most of the people posting are legit.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I plan on trying the E Cig with the patch pretty soon, like in spring when I can get out of the house to keep busy. I smoke alot still and have for most of my life.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe I can't do both cause I did not know there is nicotine in the smokes. They are $7.00 a pack in Wash. state.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Not to offend you SoberS: But I had a good laugh at the post in reference to the dangers of using the e-cig's. I was thinking at the time! Well! What the hell does the alcohol and drugs do us? I'm surprised no one else has commented on that yet.

Yes! I'm a smoker. My ashtray smokes way more than I do though. I don't hold a cigarette between my fingers if there is an ashtray available to sit it in. My husband also smokes, so y'all can imagine the price we pay. But then again! I'm retired Army and buy them by the cartons at the base. So I guess I do get them cheaper than others, but it's still costly. And NO I don't like the smell either. We have turned our attached porch into an entertainment/smoking room. That's where I'm at now. I have one fan pulling the smoke out of the room and two others to direct the smoke in it's direction. I'm always burning scented wax to dispell the smell and having to wash down the walls too.

I'm also a 100% DAV and don't work. So I'm able to smoke at anytime I'm awake which can turn into a LOT of cigarettes I go thru. I often wonder to myself how I'm able to quit the opiates but I can't seem to quit the cigarettes. Hmmmmmmmm

Me and my husband have talked several times about quitting. But alas! With the both of us smoking, it would take us both to stop at the same time. We might kill each other by doing that. Maybe! LOL I'm a RA from opiates with a short time off of them, this go round and he's still using them. So there is a battle in this house right now with all that said. Stopping smoking on top of it is something I'm just not ready to tackle right now.

However! I really need to stop due to I damaged my lungs by breathing in a lot of dirt while doing an exercise weekend back in the 80's. I can't breathe in humid weather and living in AR we have plenty of it. Inhalers are a MUST to have on hand.

So! I'd like to hear more about the e-cigarette's from those that are using them. I've also seen the commercials on the man smoking the e-blue's (I believe is what they are called). Are these the same thing? And has any of y'all gained weight by quitting cigarettes and using the e-cigarette?

Thanks for this thread!

TOD
Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Janie, are you allergic to propolyne glycol? That's the main ingredient in the liquid. Smokers usually stop smoking when they have enough nicotene but I do remember chainsmoking and feeling that way.

sonja, DO NOT use patches with e-cigs. e-cigs have nicotene and you can OD on nicotene.

Tired, I had no weight gain from switching.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tammy47 View Post
I still smoke Unfortunately, like others mentioned, I seem to be smoking more, since I quit drinking 3 weeks ago. I am gonna focus on the drink addiction first, and few months in, will attempt to curb nicotine. Like the booze, I realize now I will need help, so plan to get champex and read Alan Carr book at same time (all the help I can get). I tried the E cigs too, and thought they were great, but still managed to go back to the cigs. How long you been on the E Cig? Elizabeth
Around 5 months. I tapered down my smoking over that period.

I have the variable ego-t. It makes lots of SMOKE. As much as cigs do.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Sometimes I wonder if this type of thread isn't set up as some kind of advertising ploy by the e-cig folks. Either way, it's a smart thing to do and/or just good honest advice...I think I'm going to try those e-cigs, then again it would be nice just to quit all together!
I don't sell e-cigs, I promise! I just get passionate about the little things!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I smoked for a couple of years but honestly, it was never something I actually enjoyed. I used to smoke pretty much because all my friends did. The actual smoking gave my anxiety a hike for about 20 mins after smoking on many occasions.

Quitting was very easy for me because I'm 100% certain I wasn't addicted, but I definately get how so many people like that little 'kick' it gives you. Not smoked in nearly a year now, wish I could kick the drink as easily!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Unfortunately, yes. I smoke about 10-12 a day when I'm sober. I've quit for long and short periods over the last two decades, so I know I can do it. Right now my focus is no booze. I tried stopping both but it wasn't happening. I need a few weeks sober until I pack up the filthy things for good.
I agree! One thing at a time. Get the time in off the booze and then tackling the smoking should be much easier.

Take care!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

On the other side of the Allen Carr argument - I used his book, read it for what it was like hypnotherapy that you read and haven't smoked for over a year. In fact I feel like I have never been a smoker. For me it's now time to do the same with alcohol.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The title of this thread caught my attention. I have smoked for nearly 35 years now! I had a few quits over the years, but always seemed to pick it back up. A few of us from the Class of February support thread have joined together to try and break free from nicotine - today being our kick-off date. Anyone who wants to join in is welcome. We will be posting in the Nicotine/Smoking section under Special Interest Groups, on the March Madness thread.

Day one here……
Old 03-13-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I tried the e-cig but it was -ironically- too harsh for me.

Congrats to those who decided to quit, though!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I quit a couple of weeks ago. I smoked 50 - 60 cigarettes a day. I did everything but shower with one in my mouth. I used Chantix. It does help. It does have side effects. One of the reasons I completely stopped was so I could quit taking Chantix.
Allen Carrs book bored the hell out of me. I swear the author is afraid of his wife. I got so tired of the references to her. I never finished the book. I will send it to anyone who wants it.
I loved cigarettes. I still love cigarettes. I have an e-cig but I am afraid to bring nicotine back for fear I will start back on the Marlboros again.
I do breathe deeper and my cough is gone. That is great! At $6.00 a pack for 3 packs a day I am saving a ton of money.
Well done (going from 50-60 a day to zero). Your post re: everything but shower made me laugh. Thats me too! And that you gave up in order to stop taking the chantix, ha. (called champex here). I tried them last year, and the only but really annoying side effect was itching. I could not sleep, itching all night, (oh and really mad night mares) so I stopped them and went back on cigs. Good for you.
(what were your side effects?)

Cigs are 9.30 euro a pack here (12.05 US dollar). 20 a day for me -I'm broke!
Plan to try again with champex and AC book (even if its to just read about a wife fearing man), will give it a go.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Me and my husband both smoke "Grand Prix" 100's. It's a Generic brand. I'm getting them on the base for $32.50 a carton. That's 10 packs. I have the money to buy them and the convience of getting them cheaper. So that makes it harder to stop. I'm sure if I was paying some of the higher prices mentioned on here we'd probably be REALLY considering the STOP action.

I also recall exactly when and where I started smoking. I was 16 years old, walking down the street with a neighborhood female and was telling her how mad I was at my mom. She said; "Here! Smoke a cigarette, you'll feel better". And here I am at the age of 53 still smoking. ARGH! How I managed to run 2 miles, do pushups and situps for the Army training every year for 22 1/2 years is a miracle. Now if I could only just lay them down and walk away from them. HAAAAAAAAAA!!!

TOD
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I want to quit, just want to wait till I have a little more sobriety under my belt. I only have 29 days. I'm glad you posted about the elec cigs, I'm thinking about using that kind of option when I do decide to quit. I've tried the gum and patches before, but always went back.