Notices

Hello! I'm new here and I'm an alcoholic.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Have you called AA? I don't know exactly where you live, but it is possible that someone from AA would give you a ride to a meeting.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Nevada?

Alcoholics Anonymous (A. A.) Meetings in Reno, Nevada

AA Northern Nevada - NNIG.org

Recovery Drug Rehab AA Meetings Located Close Or Near To Reno, NV 89507

Alcoholic Anonymous (AA) Meetings Locations - Locate Alcoholic Anonymous (AA) Meetings Near You with Mapmuse's Alcoholic Anonymous (AA) Meetings Locator

There may be a meeting closer than you think!

I search: aa city state

Best wishes on your sober journey!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by JohnYEC View Post

How can I consider myself a Christian and habitually do these things that I know to be wrong?
Addiction. I did the same thing. AA helped me to open the door to me learning to live spiritually every day. I find that when I do that drinking and using is out of the question. Now I am back to being active at my church and live my faith every day.

It feels fantastic!

I had to drop the booze and drugs first though. I did it through AA, and participation here to start.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
John, you can afford alcohol/drugs and you can't afford gas to get to a meeting?

The meetings will get you clean/sober so you won't be poor anymore.

All the best, good to meet you.

Bob R
Touche! Good point.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just wanted to let everyone know that today is my 3rd day sober, and I'm going to bed. I made it another day! Tomorrow will be 4 days. Thank you to everyone for your encouragement and advice.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnYEC View Post
I have actually been thinking about going lately. I used to hate the idea of it, but I think it would be good to talk to other people who have the same problem. The only problem is that I live in a small town and there is no AA groups that I know of. I can drive to Reno, but I am also poor and it's hard to afford the gas.
Hi John,
I do not attend meetings but I would NEVER advise against them. They have helped a lot of people. I confided in most of my family for support. I also have a neighbor who is 30+ years sober. We actually talked today. About baseball and yard work mostly but we usually touch on our addiction and it's healthy. He even joked about moderation, after several failed early attempts, and said " who the hell would want to drink just one beer?" lol. I agreed. My point being that as alcoholics we gravitate towards our own kind and there are always a couple who break free from the flock and get sober. Is there anyone that you know who has already gotten sober? If so I'd start there. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing with you and maybe they could become your support group if you can't get to meetings. Best wishes brother. Sending positive thoughts and strength your way.