Notices

St. Patrick's Day

Old 03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Why do you think on this day you wear GREEN?

So when you wake up the next day and look in the mirror your face will match your attire.

Just sayin'...LOL
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yep, I have been worrying about St. Patty's Day myself a bit.

It was always my favorite holiday even before I came to appreciate its usefulness as a "free day" to get loaded. It is also my name day (obviously the female version of the name) and since half of my family is old school and celebrates name days more than birthdays, it was always a day of gifts and attention. Later it was a day to get gifts, attention, and LOADED. What could be better?

So I am also stressed as this holiday has a tradition surrounding it for me as friends picked up on the name day thing and are already gunning to get me out to party. Thank goodness it falls on a Sunday so it is not nearly as intense as it normally would be...

Short of changing my name this year (anyone know who the Patron Saint of Abstinence might be?) I am going to spend it with a friend who doesn't drink. I think she made dinner reservations for a Chinese joint that night.

How anti-climatic and very un-Irish but, all in all, a good thing. Will also likely be here with SR later in the evening, too.

Here's to being lucky in sobriety this St. Patrick's Day
Old 03-12-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Patron saint of alcoholism: John of God, Martin of Tours, Monica, Urban of Langres

from catholic.org
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I don't even know what name day is, but it sounds like it makes the celebration even bigger.

I'm not sure of my plan yet, but it won't involve a Chinese restaurant. I'm glad you have a plan with a non drinker, wise move!

So true that the next day the outfit that you probably slept in matches your complexion!! lol
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My first sober Paddy Day too, here in Dublin, Ireland. Although like others here, Paddys day was same as every other non working day - drink. Lucky for the normal drinkers, who can enjoy the day with bank holiday following day. I plan to distract myself with movies that day, and avoid the outside! Too early in my sobriety to risk going out.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

How many sad drunks can you fit in the average bar?

I don't know. I don't go to bars!

St Patrick or not!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey, if I can stay sober in Ireland on Paddy's Day, the rest of ya can do it! Lol
Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I am not of Irish descent by a long shot

My wife is. A bunch of my old drinking buddies are. I remember being quite young and my friends crowning me as honorary Irish because I could handle so much liquor.

And I could not see the trouble coming?

In my drinking days I loved Guinness, Bushmills, Jameson. Tullamore Dew. Of course I had an affinity for almost anything with alcohol in it lol.

It is 9:00 AM here. I would have had a hangover. I would have started drinking whiskey. I would have blacked out. I would have shut down the pub. I would have spent tons of money. I would have gotten in some sort of trouble.

If this were any other year. But its not.

I think I will have another cup of tea and clean my house!

Cheers