Notices

Hello from a Newbie

Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello from a Newbie

Well, can't say I am a "newbie" to drinking. I have drank beers for years...Began when I was a teen and just kept going. Loved the calmness and relaxation if gave me when I was stressed or needed relief from debilitating monthly cramps. Needless to say I drank daily and recently was having at least 8 per day. I have tried quitting before. Usually due to weight gain.
Well, trying again. Haven't had a drink in 20 days now. Unfortunately I feel sad, depressed and so tired. I thought I would have more energy and loose weight, but I am not.
Has anyone else went through the depression and sadness AFTER quitting? Is it normal? Any ideas to help get through this time?
Thank you...dayzee2013
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dayzee,

I always feel that way after I quit. Mine doesn't last as long as most but what you are feeling is VERY normal. Keep working whatever your sobriety plan is and if you continue feeling this way it might be good to find somebody to talk to about it. You will find plenty of support here and lots of info on other resources for other options to consider.

Keep going you are doing great,

T
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you T4Texas for your comment. I thought I would feel so much better right away but feel like crying and just want to sleep all the time. Thank you for letting me know it was "normal".
Old 03-10-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dayzee,
Congrats on 20 days!!! Way to go!

You mind and body will adjust. There's always a good reason to be kind to yourself and I think 20 days is a great reason!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dayzee - my experience was it took a full 30 days to feel "better." I slept a ton, and felt like crap most days but just kept listening to the good folks here that it does get better and I prayed that it would.

I didn't have much weight to lose, but once my body adjusted and I started eating normally I saw a change. I'd say it was at about 60 days it was noticeable.

It sucks that first month, longer for some, but it really does get better. Be kind to yourself and listen to your body - except when it wants a beer
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you IWillWin! It helps to hear that others feel "blah" at first. I am hoping to feel better soon and rid myself of the blues. Thank you for your response.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for putting this out there dayzee. I'm on my 25th day, and have had a major case of the blah's. i was starting to think that it was just me, that this isn't "normal". It's comforting to know that I'm not alone.

Hope you get to feeling better, and great job on 20 days!