Notices

scared about my upcoming rehab treatment

Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared about my upcoming rehab treatment

im starting to get nervous about my treatment in a few weeks. ive stayed sober 14 days now but i dont know if i can handle being away for so long and i dont know what to expect
Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Nickg,

I went to two treatment centers. One was for 30 days and the second was 60 days. During my second stint, I was in there for Christmas and New Year's Eve. It was kind of weird celebrating those holidays in a treatment center. The only thing different on those days were that we get a special dinner. I'm not sure how the treatment centers are in Canada, but the one I went to had everything scheduled. What exactly are you nervous about? If you can go in being sober this whole time, you'll have a good mindset and be able to absorb everything.

Some things I can recommend is be open-minded while you are in there. Being sober for almost a month will help tremendously. Another thing is to try to get all your stuff squared away before leaving. Stuff like your bills, pets, rent..etc. You don't want to worry about those things while you are in rehab. At mine, they made it very difficult to use phones. They took away our cells, and on the weekends, you are only allowed to make calls for 30mins total. Bring a piece of paper with all the phone numbers of people that you need to keep in contact.

After re-reading what I just wrote, I feel like my thoughts are all over the place. If you have specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks for the reply Recovery1983.

im nervous about being away from family and also i am normally very anti social and have trouble speaking my problems infront of others. Theres no cell phones at the centre but we are aloud phone calls. i guess i just havnt come to grips with me going to rehab yet but i need to make this change and start a new chapter in my life. thanks for the advice!

Nick
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dont Worry

I've been to (3) yes three rehabs,, sad to say but true.. I was nervous as well. The staff will ease you into the program, dont think your going to have to go there and tell your life story the first couple days. Your counselors will most likely be recovering alcoholics//addicts and of course your fellow residents are there for a reason. New surroundings can be a bit scary, after each day you will find yourself to be more comfortable. The time will pass quickly, word of advice,,,, dont take it lightly like I did.. Go with a purpose and work hard. Best of luck. You will find that you meet some amazing people and lifelong friends. Embrace it
Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What Ryanriley said is true. Most, if not all, are recovering addicts/alcoholics. Even the doctors at my place were recovering addicts/alcoholics. Going into a new environment causes me anxiety, which was one of the reasons why I self-medicated with drugs and alcohol. The thing is that everyone that is in there is also in there for the same reasons why you are going. One of the best things about going in there sober is that you wont be spending a week or two detoxing. People usually go into rehab completely obliterated, and basically with the clothes that they are wearing. It's probably because they weren't expecting the "intervention".

I had a official intervention the first stint, but I was already 3 weeks sober and didn't think I had a issue. Anyways, the guy did his thing with my family, and they said I need to go now. Well, I was pretty stubborn and told the guy to get the hell out of my apt. I ended up going 2 weeks later in order to please my family. It gave me time to take care of some stuff before going in, so I was in good shape.

Treatment centers can be very costly, so not a lot of people have the luxury of going. Take this opportunity and get as much as you can out of it. Like I said, most of the people are detoxing, and basically just as nervous as you are. They should have small groups of 4-6 people where you talk, feedback, etc. This is the counselors main job, so they know people are nervous. Btw, the place I went to had the guys and girls separated. They know that the opposite sex can be a distraction, so they do their best to keep you guys apart.

Okay, since this has brought memories of my time at rehab, there are some things that happened that might be sort of amusing.

1. My first stint, I was sober for about 5 weeks, and drove myself to the rehab center. I parked my car, and started to walk in to the front center. I see this girl shooting up something (no idea what it was) right in the front walkway. When i checked in, I told the lady, "uhhh, do you guys know there is some girl shooting up at the front?". The lady said yeah we know, she told them she'll come in when she is done. The lady said it was pretty normal for people to get their last high all the way before walking through the doorway. Once you walk in, they do a THOROUGH job of searching for contraband, drugs or alcohol.

2. There is a big pond right on the property. No fence to block it off or anything. My second time there, some guy, who was on heavy detox meds, started walking right in it. I thought that was pretty hilarious.

3. The property is very well hidden, and they have somewhat tall fences that surrounds the property. Basically, if you want to get out, you'll have to do some climbing to leave. Other than climbing the fence, the other way out is through the front entrance which was guarded 24/7. During my second stint, these three teens decided to call a cab to meet around the corner, and they hopped the fence at night. They paid someone to buy alcohol, and they rented a room at some hotel to get drunk. The center always has some sort of role call, so if you aren't somewhere at that time, they'll start looking for you. The three teens were brought back early in the morning. I think one was kicked out, and the other two were allowed to stay, but they had conditional sanctions upon returning.

4. This one will be very unlikely to happen, but a guy from my high school and same year, was at the same treatment center. He entered in 2 weeks earlier than me, so our stay overlapped for 2 weeks. It was really really trippy cause on my first day there, I was walking to the gym. As I was about to pass him, we gave each other this look like, don't I know you.

5. Since I want to honor that anonymity thing, i'll refrain from using her name. I spent about 45 days with a certain celebrity, who seems to make the news A LOT and not the good kind of news, at the same treatment center.

As you can see, you get all sorts of people in there. I hope these stories help make you less nervous before going in.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Rehab is a very interesting learning experience. I wouldn't be scared if I were you, at all. Sure, it's something new and you will be with some people you don't know, but you will adjust and adapt pretty quickly to the routine. It's about getting knowledge about yourself and your condition to be able to make some sound decisions once you prepare to re-enter society.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been through 2 rehabs the first was a 28 day program and I managed to stay clean for 3 days after getting out. The 2nd program was a Narconon center in Nevada and didn't have any set time for the program it's all on how long you take to get through the program. The really nice thing about the Narconon program was that every staff member has been through the program at least once if not more. Also after you graduate you can stay and be an intern there.