Notices

Poor Kitty

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Poor Kitty

I just had a terrible night trying to help my dad realize his precious kitty has cancer and is not going to survive and how terrible it is that he is in pain and we keep trying to keep him alive in misery. Getting mad at each other as we try to restrain him to bandage and thus protect his incision site so he doesn't dig at it with his little claws. So much frustration and sadness... My dad ended up walking away in tears and I feel just terrible. I had to get my b/f to come and help me instead and we successfully covered the wound.

But to what avail? I want to have a word with the vet who convinced my dad to remove the tumor while his tiny body has smaller tumors littered all over. I'm pissed that this little kitty didn't get to enjoy his last few years of life without pain and be in peace and happy.

And now it comes back full circle to me, how am I going to continue to self-inflict personal injury to myself by choosing to drink and then get mad at a vet for possibly taking advantage of my elderly father's emotional state over his only companion? I too missed out on the precious gifts life has to offer us everyday all due to alcohol. A warm cup of coffee in the morning or a good run around my local lake. Having breakfast in the morning with my b/f or even just appreciating my own little kitty instead of being annoyed with his incessant crying in the morning because he was hungry. We are so lucky to be alive and I choose to be sober for it so I can enjoy the sweet subtleties of each day. Life is precious, I need to embrace it.

I just wish it could have been different for my dad and his loyal companion...
Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

I love kitties and its a tough place that you're in.

I know it's hard but we have to do what is right for them, the animals, not us. If it's in pain and suffering, then we have to do the humane thing.

If they are not suffering, then maybe that's different. I understand its really difficult when it's his companion.

Try to take the emotions out of it, if you can.

Maybe a decision will come easier....
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

awwww i just hugged my cat a little tighter while reading this. So sad when these things happen I admire you for being grateful for your sobriety in this situation. The past is done & we can only move forward.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love cats too and I feel for you in this difficult time.