Notices

Choosing a Sponsor

Old 02-28-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Choosing a Sponsor

Any advice on choosing a sponsor? Do I need to "get to know" this person first. If they say something in a meeting that resonates... Do I just ask?

I'm a binge drinker... Do I need to find someone who is also a binge drinker?

Sorry for all the questions! :-/
Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's the official sponsorship pamphlet link from AA (opens as .PDF file), no doubt others can fill in the blanks

Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

D
Old 02-28-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Look for someone who has lots of sobriety and who is enthusiastic about helping others. If this person cannot sponsor you, he or she may recommend someone who can.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coldfusion- there is a person who sort of has taken me under her wing... I'll ask her if she has a recommendation. She's been so great to me thus far without being intrusive about things. She's made me feel welcome.

Dee- thank you as always.

I posted and thought- you should just ask someone... Like in person. It's hard for me to reach out yet though. I'm sort of establishing routine maybe? Work, meeting, sleep... With SR sprinkled in between.

Thanks y'all.
SB
Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi StarBaby,

I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago asking the same questions. I ended up asking a guy with a few years under his belt (7), proximity in age to me, the respect he seemed to have and the fact he is a no nonsense type of person.

It seemed like a good idea at the time and the first few days were good, we met for coffee and talked but I've noticed he tends to go missing for days at a time. I don't believe he's drinking or using but I do think he has an ego problem and only took me on as a sponsee to feed it.

Fortunately I'm in a good place and don't really feel the need to be in daily contact with a sponsor. I have lots of friends in the program, attend my meetings and go for coffee afterwards with a group of great members.

Take your time, find someone who fits with what you need and you're looking for. Everyone is different and has their own requirements from a sponsor. And if it doesn't work out you can always find someone else.

Good luck
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I picked a sponsor who had more sobriety (sober, sane,serene,confident,wise,well-liked) than I could ever expect to have.

My sponsor began to give me all those things if I listened and worked. I began to become him.

You will do fine. All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pick someone that you have heard share something that really resonated with you. You could even ask that they be your temporary sponsor until you are both sure.

A sign you have a good one is if they jump right into the steps with you.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I clearly lacked the basic tools to live a satisfactory life. I look for someone that is living the life that I always wanted. Then ask them to show me how they did it so I can do it too. Feet speak louder than mouths.