Notices

Did it again

Old 02-25-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Chanty, what I just described to you there is how people have quit drinking for hundreds and even thousands of years. It is nothing new and nothing fancy at all, at least to people in older civilizations like India and China. There, the power of the mind to understand, recognize and detach from feelings and thoughts we know to be harmful is taught and accepted.

I described to you something that was shown to me after I quit drinking called Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (you can google it if you like). It appeals to some of us, to know that we can learn new skills to identify and detach from our urges to drink, and to get on with the life we deserve to live. You can do it too.

The SR forum called Secular Connections as a lot of active discussion about this and other similar ideas. The thread that Kizzie pointed out has over 2000 posts and almost every conceivable question asked, discussed and answered.

This is one person's experience with this, and you might find it useful.

You are doing great, Chanty, and congratulations to you on your decision to get sober. Onward!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Try not to beat yourself up over it. I almost think that made me want to drink, I made myself feel so bad about relapsing.

You can start fresh and do it differently the next time.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Chanty avoid self-pity, instead try doing something little that is useful, you might be surprised how little jobs can give you satisfaction.

Remember this though, "For an alcoholic enough is best" so don't overdo things during your day!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My 2 cents would be to discuss self detox with your medical Doctor, (if you have not already). If you have a physical addiction it may need to be handled medically.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeekSobriety View Post
My 2 cents would be to discuss self detox with your medical Doctor, (if you have not already). If you have a physical addiction it may need to be handled medically.

Just my 2 cents.
Agree with this statement. If Detox is very bad, always consult your Dr. Self detox is not always the best route. I learnt the hard way.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow, so many replies and support, this truly is a great site and I am glad to have found it. I think with your help I will get through this! Thank you everyone for your encouragement and ideas, you have inspired me to keep going and not give in, truly grateful :-)
I think AVRT will work for me, thanks freshstart.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Loved your post - AVRT Explained (long)- freshstart, excellent!!!