Notices

so tired..

Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

so tired..

iam so tired of the battle between sobriety & drinking, iam so tired of being sober for a few weeks then drinking and feeling depressed anxious hopeless, iam so tired of feeling differant not normal, iam sick and tired of being sick and tired!!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
iam so tired of being sober for a few weeks then drinking and feeling depressed anxious hopeless,
There's your battle, the vicious cycle of drinking, not drinking, drinking again.

Pull the drinking out of the equation and give sobriety a chance to work.

Don't try to tie normality to the ability to drink. Sober, for anyone, is the normal state.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jil

I went through this cycle MANY times before I committed to staying sober. Two years later and I would not change a thing. Whenever I think about drinking again, I just remember how much work it was to get to where I am today, and even one drink would bring me back to that all over again. Every day gets a little easier, and every day you get a little stronger. Eventually, you'll look back and wish you'd done it sooner because the positive change it brings to your life is so empowering. Good luck, message me if you're ever tempted and need some words of encouragement.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

iam so tired of the battle between sobriety & drinking, iam so tired of being sober for a few weeks then drinking and feeling depressed anxious hopeless, iam so tired of feeling differant not normal, iam sick and tired of being sick and tired!!
We can't drink like others. That is our normal. Instead of making it about being deprived, make it about living a life that is way better than you ever imagined, of not being conflicted, of being at rest and peace in your life.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It was only when I gave up fighting that things started to get better. Every time I got in the ring with king alcohol I got the snot beat out of me so the only path was surrender. I feel the definition of surrender is, "Joining the winning side."

I wanted what people in AA had so I gave up and tried to do everything that people with good sobriety did regardless if I agreed with it or not.

The good news is that it worked
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That cycle is exhausting. The longer you are sober, the less exhausting it gets. It's hard and not fun to get through those first few weeks and months, but nothing worth having is ever a piece of cake. Break the cycle and keep giving it more time. Do and add everything it takes.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Then quit drinking ... and if you find you can't, then come with me to AA.

You know where AA is .... it's the last place on the street.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Me too. It feels like a rollercoaster that i can't get off of.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I gave up drinking , i gave up that struggle . It's a huge relief to never have to get on that merry go round again,

Thanks for the reminder and don't forget that you can get off it too

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

I am free of the torment. It is possible. Embracing sobriety uncondionally is hard at first but becomes a relaxing way to live.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got really tired of that too LH.

It was like I knew which way of life was better for me - but pride and fear wouldn't let me.

Once I gave myself over to recovery - really truly accepted what I was - the relief was tangible.

D
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It takes time for the body and mind to heal
from all the abuse and toxins we put in and
place on ourselves over the years. Healing
won't happen over night, so don't be hard on
yourself and ask for help. There will be lots
of healthy suggestion to follow from many
who have learned to stay clean and sober
for a many one days at a time to get them
where they are today.

It's a journey of learning just like it is in
school when learning a subject. Learn all
there is to know about alcoholism or drug
addiction and how it affects your body. Then
take those tools and knowledge with you on
ur journey and live a healthy, happy, honest
life for yrs. to come.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Can totally relate to that lionhearted, I am in that same place right now.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes... that struggle sobriety/drinking it is so stressful. So much pressure it is exhausting. I had to give up one or the other. I chose drinking.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was absolutely exhausted in every way when I finally stopped drinking. I had nothing left physically, mentally or spiritually. That was a moment of profound change for me. I realized I had very little left to lose and took the leap of faith to stop drinking.

You don't have to do this again.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Believe in your higher power, stay away from places and never put down your shield and live day by day. today is to important for you don't think about tomorrow
Old 02-21-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My learning process with alcohol has been hard and daunting also. I can only hope that one day I will look back to many years of recovery. It is probably the most challenging thing I can really imagine. But without the sour the sweet just isn't as sweet. So perhaps we can look at this overwhelming challenge as a gift. A stinky - ****** gift.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'd like to say there is a solution besides sobriety, but if you are an addict it is just a matter of time before your addiction will take away everything and then someone's life, and certainly yours.

I have been fighting this for 38 years now and would say 95% of that time I was sober, and happy, but the 5% kept getting worse and worse, and the obsession (even when I was sober was always there). What a waste, I now see.

On my 8th day after another relapse, and believe me when I say I am doing everything I am told to stay sober: AA, sponsor, steps, therapist. I may have another 30 years and if I am so fortunate a lot good can happen in that time.

PLEASE do all you can to get sober.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

iam so tired of being sober for a few weeks then drinking and feeling depressed anxious hopeless
I got into a similar cycle - mine was from stopping drinking on Saturday night to starting drinking on Thursday night and those days sober were getting harder and harder, but then so were the hangover recovery days on Saturday and Sunday.

Stopping was hard and I'm still dealing with adjusting but on the whole being sober continuously is actually easier than that horrible weekly cycle.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was able to quit for good when I no longer enjoyed it, which was always at the end. I tried to moderate & failed. I got real honest with myself... I didn't want to drink like a normal person, I wanted to sh!t faced drunk without the consequences. Well, reality check...never gonna happen.
It's amazing the lies my addiction fed me & I just kept on believing them.

There is so much freedom when you finally accept that you can never drink again & be ok with that. Alcohol never delivers what it promises.

I had to weigh the cost...That first hour of buzz vs the other 23 hrs of misery, blackouts, shakes, vomiting, hangover, guilt, shame, on & on

It was not worth it anymore.
The love affair was over.

I hope you break up with your unfaithful friend sooner than later.
Best wishes