Notices

Day 11 for me

Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 for me

Since I am not a daily heavy drinker ,I usually get mild withdrawal symptoms which last about few days.As I mentioned in my first post I had had a panic disorder for 30 years which had nothing to do with alcohol.However,anxiety always goes on and I find it hard to predict whether it is the same anxiety I had in my young times or do both mix?Few days ago I noticed that I had a slight right hand tremor and I went to see a neurologist who said I had a slight postural tremor caused by anxiety and that it did not look like a typical hand tremor seen in alcoholism.This tremor I have does not occur all the time.

As I said my worst symptom is anxiety and my anxiety is about my health.İt starts like feeling quilty and making me think how much damage I might have done to my body and then I keep looking for several diseases on the internet and while doing this,I have extreme palm sweating,hot flushes ,high blood pressure and a fully bloated stomach.After this comes a lot of yawning and the more I yawn,my blood pressure goes down and I feel comfortable.I also feel great when I have a good company talking about things and have a laugh.

I know that I can easily manage not to drink for a year,for a few months,few weeks etc,Which I did many times before.My father used to drink a lot more than me but he could also stop it(he very surprisingly never had any withdrawal symptoms) whenever he decided to do so.

Anyway,briefly speaking I want to go on this detox for at least 6 months,İf of course I can find a solution to this anxiety thing.

Wishing you all forever sober days,

ps.After quitting alcohol has anybody noticed that one gets some skin rashes for a while.They go away with time
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Cengiz, congratulations on Day 11 and welcome to SR. I'm also on Day 11.

The first time I quit this year, I also had anxiety, sweating and LOTS of yawning. I yawned for 45 minutes straight one day.

I think it's good you went to see a neurologist about the tremor. Maybe you could go and see your general doctor about that and your other symptoms, especially if you believe your health is what's driving your anxiety.

Yeah, this time when I quit I got a rash on my back. Yes, it scabbed over pretty quickly.

Have a great sober day!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Cengiz, congratulations on Day 11 and welcome to SR. I'm also on Day 11.

The first time I quit this year, I also had anxiety, sweating and LOTS of yawning. I yawned for 45 minutes straight one day.

I think it's good you went to see a neurologist about the tremor. Maybe you could go and see your general doctor about that and your other symptoms, especially if you believe your health is what's driving your anxiety.

Yeah, this time when I quit I got a rash on my back. Yes, it scabbed over pretty quickly.

Have a great sober day!
Many thanks Louise.I did go and see my general doctor but considering my age,I really have no serious health problems.Yes ,as you said thinking about my health drives me crazy sometimes.I am the type that wants to drink,eat,smoke and then ''nothing should happen to me''!!Because I can not admit it!Whatever disease you call it,I may have it Louise.

Coming to this ''yawning'' thing,I think it may be hyperventilation.When you are too tense then start yawning,you get more relaxed.My biggest concern is high blood pressure which changes all the time from 110/65(normal) to 180/75 sometimes.But İf I do not smoke I am usually ok.

Keep up the good work Louise and never touch that poison again.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cengiz, I also was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder long before I even started drinking heavily. I used alcohol to self-medicate and it eventually led to a significant increase in anxiety. After a couple of weeks sober my anxiety has decreased, but it's still there like it always was. For me, being sober at least lets me address anxiety and learn healthy coping mechanisms. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has helped me a lot. Congrats on your 11 days!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amelia99 View Post
Cengiz, I also was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder long before I even started drinking heavily. I used alcohol to self-medicate and it eventually led to a significant increase in anxiety. After a couple of weeks sober my anxiety has decreased, but it's still there like it always was. For me, being sober at least lets me address anxiety and learn healthy coping mechanisms. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has helped me a lot. Congrats on your 11 days!
Exactly the same as my condition Amelia99!

However I really do not believe in theraphy.I think it is time consuming and waste of money!I am now going to be may be too blunt in what I am going to say and that is;

İt is hard to change or solve your life problems and in fact most problems will always exist and unless they go away themselves,things continue although you may solved some of them.You can either minimise your expectations and admit your own reality which is the best,or things go on bothering you.Most people drink to cover their own problems whether or not they may be too important.

Anyway Louise,keep it up for as long as possible!