Notices

Does it take longer to bounce back?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it take longer to bounce back?

So many threads go through here on a weekly basis that sometimes it's hard to keep track of things I've read, so I'll ask this here.

When you get clean for a while you start to feel good again, and that can lead to a relapse. My question is; do you find it takes longer to bounce back with each successive relapse? Seems like I was able to bounce back a lot quicker in my late teens, but now that I'm in my mid twenties it's slow going. Six months sober from my drug of choice marijauana and I'm starting to feel good again. It's not a huge difference but I find that I can let things go easier, I have more energy, I'm in a better mood, I'm working more... It almost feels too good to be true, and some part of me is afraid that I'll go back down to feeling just average again. I remember feeling normal after about twelve weeks back when I was starting to use drugs, now I got this sudden lifted feeling at months six... such a major difference in time.

Just wondering if anyone found that it took longer to feel good again after many relapses, or as they aged. And just to clarify, I'm not asking for medical advice or anything, just curious of other peoples experiences.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't really say for myself because I didn't even attempt to quit til now, I am 31. It took me a long time to start feeling better though and I am sure if I was younger it wouldn't have been quite so bad. I think with things like this it can only get harder. People who quit repeatedly with no apparent ill effects must be lulled into a false sense of security. Have you heard of the kindling effect? I'm not sure if that applies to withdrawal from certain drugs as well...
Old 02-18-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have only quit twice - once last year for 30 days and my current stretch of 43 days. I would say the second time around was worse/took longer to start feeling better. I hope I never have to found out what the third time is like!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Sorry to say, Admiral, but if you read some of the relapse posts you will see those who have gone before you can attest to that being a Big YES!

I know, I know, we just don't get a break! Try and make it your first try, then you will never have to find out.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
My question is; do you find it takes longer to bounce back with each successive relapse?
Yes, it's called kindling and it explains why the withdrawals get worse with each relapse.

The way I view it, I only had so many relapses in me to come back from. So the last relapse had to be the last one.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is a very cruel twist of fate that with every failed attempt you have to work extra hard to reach your goal, It's so worth it though
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

It's a big fat yes for me. I briefly went back out only once, but it was enough to convince me that the Kindling Effect is REAL! Scary real, in fact. Have no desire to experience that EVER again.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you google "the kindling effect", you'll find some interesting info

I've almost always medically detoxed, and even at age 26, I have no doubt that picking up again would mean physical torture and anguish-the mental aspect of "bouncing back" is what I'd fail to do completely & that's the killer

Xx

ETA: Phone wasn't loading, so I realise I've repeated what others have said
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The "kindling" effect is real.

Also, with each passing day you are getting older (damn) so it's a double whammy.

You are a different person at 28, 38, 48 and 58 than you were at 18.

Father Time is just as brutal as Mother Nature.