Notices

Cold turkey shock treatment

Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cold turkey shock treatment

A number of years ago I was on six different medications for depression; a walking zombie. Out of desperation, when the night was darkest, I flushed all the pills down the toilet.

The next ten days were truly hell on earth. It left like live electric high-wires were hitting my body randomly, jolting me awake. Sleep was a scattered hour here and there; no appetite.

I DO NOT recommend going cold turkey UNLESS YOU'VE CONSULTED A DOCTOR - It doesn't for all and it can be dangerous, but for some people it works. In my case, - for a while. The next year I started self-medicating with alcohol and wasted many years.

After all that, sobriety feels g-r-e-a-t!

I feel strong, and am slowly getting back into activities that give me a measure of pleasure.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats great to hear. Kicking surely sucks but thats the price that must be paid. In alot of cases, death seems like a better options than to detox because the pain is so great. But so often, people would not be the kind of people they would become if they have never gone thru a struggle. It insane that we tend to forget the worst pain imaginable and how good we feel clean, when endulgence seems like the only option for us.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you stop drinking or stop taking medication.