Notices

Day 15

Old 02-11-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15

Day 15 and I still feel like poo.
Is this ever going to end, or do I have to suffer for the rest of my life? I had tonnes of energy when I drank, but now I can barely get out of bed. Housework has suffered. My daughter suffers because I dont have the energy to play with her and get really snappy when she tries. I thought things were supposed to get better! Not really motivated to continue sobriety any more.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It really does get better. Your body is healing after a lot of abuse. You're mentally struggling with hard issues. It's normal to feel exhausted. We probably all had energy when we drank, but don't forget those hangovers which could easily zap half a day. It sounds like your AV is actively trying to convince you that it will be better to start drinking again. I've never really heard anyone say "thank God I started drinking again, I feel so much better and have more energy, and my kids are so happy". Try to hang in there awhile longer, you should be feeling better soon and you're off to such a great start! Think big picture re your daughter. You might not be able to play with her very much right now, but overall her life will be so much better if you're sober.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RQ

none of us would still be in recovery if things didn't get better

I know it feels like forever but it is only two weeks - put that against the amount of years you drank...

give your mind and body time to recover. Try and be patient

D
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

you are healing now

it's going to be an up and down emotional tired and energetic thing

Are you working a method for recovery? It can help make a difference for you!

You aren't alone, you have us!!

Big hugs & love,
~sb
Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does take time. You are going through the same thing I went through. I am at 4 months on the 14th. All I can say is,Stick with it. It is worth it.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Never say never...

I was three weeks yesterday RQ.....I have days where I don't wanna get out of bed too, but I do feel better for not having had a drink.

Congratulations...you should be proud!!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jkb

RQ-
I am in my first few weeks also and I understand what you are saying. I have no energy, feel "out of it" and overall just not good. However, even my very worst "yuck" day is not nearly as bad as a "hangover day". I have to remind myself just how bad it was and be grateful. jkb
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Sobriety is a slow process of removing many layers from our addictions. One of the first "layers" we take off is the lack of sleep. Our bodies have a lot of catching up on sleep to do.

But the one "layer" we can't take off is our skin, and I know how it feels when skin starts telling me I need a drink. I just need to realize that it is just in my mind, and I need to re-set my mind. Go for a walk, rant here at SR, hug your child, call a friend...
Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sorry you are still struggling. Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but i have had a completely different reaction. 15 days sober and I feel great. I am not sleeping as well as I would like most nights, but I still have plenty of energy. Much more than when I was drinking.

Hang in there RQ. You made it this far, give it some more time. It'd be a shame to backtrack now if improvement was right around the corner for you.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

You are getting over a MAJOR life threatening illness .
You do not have to be perfect at housework and being a bit of an angry mum for a few months is far better than a drunk or dead mum .

Sometimes just getting by is enough .. Ambivalence about our using/drinking is sometimes part of the illness so please stick with it .

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

RQ - hang in there mate (are you a mate if you're female and live in Austrailia?)

Regardless, you're going to feel better, there are a few hundred on this site alone who can attest to that.

You're doing great by not drinking - lethargic and sober beats energetic and drunk any day.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

RocketQueen, 15 days? FANTASTIC. I don't know how much time it'll take, but the urges will subside. You can do it.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So much great advise here, I am learning through treatment, that PAWS (Post acute withdrawal syndrome) can last upwards to a yr. You will have highs & lows along the way, we will just have to learn to take a day at a time.
~Peace