Notices

how long until you physically felt better

Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how long until you physically felt better

I am a weekend binger and I don't drink during the week, but the hangovers have gotten increasingly worse. I'm on Day 2 but still feel shaky, very nauseous, and so, so, exhausted. Anxiety is through the roof. Just wondering how long it took for you to get through this phase...and how you got through it. I have to work otherwise I think I'd lay in bed all day. I'm thinking I just need to buckle up and wait it out. Jeez...the highs aren't worth the lows anymore...lows are far more frequent and last way longer.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Day 2 is very early - you are still most likely still in the very first stages of initial withdrawal. You should visit a doctor if you have any physical concerns at all, withdrawal can potentially very dangerous, even life threatening in severe cases.

After the initial detox/withdrawal is over it can take, weeks or even months to undo all the damage drinking does to your body. But the good news is it DOES get better...just takes time.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Opgirl..and welcome.
Most people get through the withdrawals after 4 or 5 days...all the alcohol should be out of your system by then. You are right, after awhile, the lows are way more extreme, outweighing any highs you might seek. Sobriety is much easier than dealing with all that garbage.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

not to scare you at all, but i would suggest making a dr appt. and let the truth set you free.
to them everything. they can help you.
i struggled thru withdrawls alot. and the last time, July 10, 2011 i told my partner to call an ambulance.
it was the worse for me on the fourth day.

please call, your life could depend on it. and we need you still
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a good question. Feeling better came in layers. I drank heavily every single day for four years. The first couple of weeks were the hardest. I slept and ate. At 30 days I felt like I had run a marathon with one lung. At 60 I was stronger. Physically and emotionally. On February 14 I will have 4 months. What a lovely Valentines Day gift to myself. I feel energetic, sometimes restless. I just got ready for work and I am wearing a blouse I could'nt wear 3 months ago because I was too bloated. Slapped on some mascara and it does'nt blend in with dark circles and bags (which looked macabre btw). I still have a long way to go but it does get better I swear. Be strong, be patient, you will get what you want.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

I was a daily drinker, then I was a binge drinker and I can totally relate to the extreme lows after a binge.. But give yourself time to heal.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jkb

3 days... no I am just kidding but, for me it did take three days. I too am a binge drinker, never daily, and after my last binge well: 1st day horrible, 2nd day: in the evening I felt semi-better, and by day 3... I was feeling much better.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I will go to the doctor if I start feeling any strange withdrawal symptoms. I usually feel like crap on Monday (shaky, sweaty, sick), then better on Tuesday, and so on. Yesterday was pure hell and today is a very little bit better. The aftermath of my weekend binges gets worse each time though. Like I've heard around here...I never have to feel this way again. I won't feel this way again!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Opgirl

It varies I think for person to person but I think everyone would agree day 2 is not great.

I also recommend seeing a Dr - I think it's the safest and most responsible way to go, especially if you're concerned.

This is a thread of members detox experiences - it's a little harrowing in parts but it gives you a good idea of what others have gone through:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

welcome to SR

D
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Opgirl,

I too was a weekend binge drinker (plus Thursday and sometimes Wednesday). Like you my hangovers have just got worse and worse over the years to the point where I lost the entire weekend to just recovering. No way to live.

I found things got better after around day 7. This was a Monday - that first weekend I found especially difficult.

Anxiety levels took a while longer to calm down, probably a couple of weeks. They are so much better now and actually that was a side-benefit that I didn't expect to happen. I thought the anxiety was down to something else.

However, as others have said if you feel any different from normal then you need to see a doctor.

Well done on Day 2 - I promise you it DOES get better.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

If you only drank on weekends, did you feel like this on day 2 of each week on not drining (between binges)?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
If you only drank on weekends, did you feel like this on day 2 of each week on not drining (between binges)?
I thought about that this morning (now day 3). I remembered how days 1 & 2 were usually bad...I think this time might have been worse since I fell and hit my head and have more anxiety about how bad off I've become. Today I feel so much better, and I remember how on day 4 & 5 I start thinking...well, I could just watch it better this weekend and have a couple...like a MORON. I can't drink anymore though. It literally hit me in the face last weekend!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
jkb

OPgirl-
Glad you are feeling a bit better... I was the same way about day 4 and 5... By day 6 all was forgotten and I was usually starting the whole cycle over. jkb