Notices

wicked huge nor'easter

Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

wicked huge nor'easter

now normally with weather like this coming my way (1-3 feet!) I would have gone to the liquor store, grabbed a case of craft beer, a bota box of malbec and maybe some vodka. You never know what you'll need when you are snowed in for a couple of days!
INSTEAD I'm on my couch watching tv, thinking about all the drinking I'm NOT doing. Just the thought of a hangover is enough to keep me sober but lately I cant help but think about how hard the summer is going to seem...
My favorite thing to do in the summer is be outside and drink beer. On the porch, mowing the lawn, after yard work, at the beach in the house with a mouse, on the lawn with a fawn... You get my drift.
The important thing is that Im not drinking today, and I plan to take each day one at a time. I keep reading the posts here and keep getting strength from what everyone talks about and experiences.
Im thankful I have found this web site and so many of you wonderful people. I may be on here a lot more in a couple of months!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're glad you're here, sunshine. I predict by summer you'll feel much different than you do right now. Every day I grew a little stronger - by the time a few months had passed I was nowhere near as anxious about the whole thing.

As for NEMO (they name the snowstorms now?) I feel concerned for New England and Cape Cod - the weather people are in a frenzy. Snowmageddon some have called it! Where I am, we're supposed to get a mere 12-18".
Old 02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in the "wicked" part of the world that always seems to blow this sh*t outta proportion, too. Right now, I'm just wicked grateful for the impromptu long weekend since I'm a teacher and school was already called. However, emotionally and mentally the trudgery has begun.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I think it's great someone started a storm thread to check in. I have a hard time with storms-they just make me want to drink-I like the atmosphere the blizzard or hurricane watch creates, fun energy and everyone all charged up. When everyone is in, I'm usually out taking pics and used to be hanging in the bar having fun. I will probably still go out, but won't drink. I just went to the grocery store and it was packed and they had one cashier on. Seriously?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FreeFall- There's something so exciting and primal about getting "stranded"
Its so ingrained in us up here in the north east.
Tomorrow I will be keeping myself busy by shoveling, watching movies, eating junk food, snow shoeing, cleaning, maybe take a bath, maybe make some soup? Luckily for me I'm OCD so I should have all that done by noon
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Upstate NY here too!
I always seem to drink during storms also. My worst bing ever was during hurricane Sandy. Not this time- I am making plans and not a drop of alcohol will be in the apartment.
Stay safe everyone!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay safe ivegotsunshine

D
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivegotsunshine View Post
My favorite thing to do in the summer is be outside and drink beer. On the porch, mowing the lawn, after yard work, at the beach in the house with a mouse, on the lawn with a fawn... You get my drift.
LMAO! I posted on the alcoholism board how a local news station posted a question on facebook asking what's the one thing you can't do without during a storm- or something along those lines. Of course a large majority of the responses were alcohol (beer and wine). It's crazy how people don't know what to do with themselves when the world slows down and has time to think. Or maybe just doesn't know how to relax without alcohol. Its no wonder some of us take it too far.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in New Hampshire getting ready for the storm as well. One stop I did not make yesterday was the liquor store and it was scary and exciting at the same time. Storms and Bourbon were a perfect match for me, but this time I'm going to paint my bathroom, do crafts with my daughter and bake. Here's to a sober snow storm!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Snow storms and drinking definitely went hand in hand for me in the past. I mean, you have nothing else to do, might as well plan a big binge. This storm, of course, will be different. I couldn't believe the amount of people at work talking about how much alcohol to get in preperation. For them, though, this meant a bottle of wine. For me, it would have meant a lot more. Thankful to be free of that obsession.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck with the cabin fever! Summer will bring its own rewards, keep a clear view and try lots of different things in the end I drank a lot of tonic water which I almost feel addicted to . Ginger beer was a good one too. My son makes one with black pepper , it's more of a cordial and Tea I bought a tea pot and tray and made a thing about it .
I had a great Summer the absence of alcohol,made everything so much better for all of us.
John.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I will say since Ive wuit drinking my house is much much neater. Probably acombination of more time sober and the OCD- and things are sooo organized! Thats on my list today, organize the laundry room. Aren't I living on the edge.
I am planning on a garden this summer so hopefully another way to keep me busy.
Spinach- did you say your son makes a black pepper ginger beer? Sounds delish!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Sunshine... Lived in Maine a long time here.... Love the use of the word wicked. Lol.

It's wicked cool!

I used to love snow days in Portland. Walk to the warf bars and drink from morning till night and trudge back in the snow all plastered and playing. And I am in my 40s!

I must stick around here later when I get home. This is one of my biggest cause of cravings.

I bought one of those box mixes for Brownies. Not because I bake but because I wanted to fill the house with warn smells. Take the dampness away with the oven. Make it harder to cheat!

K
Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am sooooooooooo glad I am not the only one working a little harder on not drinking during this storm!! I think just knowing there are many like me out there doing the right thing and not drinking but enjoying comfortable pleasure of being home and indoors will help. It is a wicked cool thing! My motto shall be "keep calm and shovel on"!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivegotsunshine View Post
I will say since Ive wuit drinking my house is much much neater. Probably acombination of more time sober and the OCD- and things are sooo organized! Thats on my list today, organize the laundry room. Aren't I living on the edge.
I am planning on a garden this summer so hopefully another way to keep me busy.
Spinach- did you say your son makes a black pepper ginger beer? Sounds delish!
When I was drinking alcohol it didn't matter what day of the week it was or what was going on outside. However I must say, during inclement weather I allowed my AV to make me think it was "reasonable" to drink. Odd, eh?

Right now, you could eat off the floors at my little place. I've been a neat freak for years however now I've become an over the top clean neat freak. My therapist and I have had quite a few good laughs (and conversation) about it as I now tend to end up straightening pictures on walls and dusting any nearby small object in their office.

On another note, EVERY TIME I see your user name I am compelled to sing. Love me some Temptations!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Received View Post
When I was drinking alcohol it didn't matter what day of the week it was or what was going on outside. However I must say, during inclement weather I allowed my AV to make me think it was "reasonable" to drink. Odd, eh?

Right now, you could eat off the floors at my little place. I've been a neat freak for years however now I've become an over the top clean neat freak. My therapist and I have had quite a few good laughs (and conversation) about it as I now tend to end up straightening pictures on walls and dusting any nearby small object in their office.

On another note, EVERY TIME I see your user name I am compelled to sing. Love me some Temptations!
I would organized the candy at the checkout isle as a kid. Symmetry calms me. I group like things together. I straighten strangers collars and pictures in office buildings. I returned a pair of work shoes the other day that were defective ( I'm a dental hygienist) and almost had a nervous breakdown when the cashier casually touched the sole of the shoe and made no motion for a gallon of hand sanitizer. I can sympathize!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome lmyers! I like your plans for the big storm.

Received - I loved "My Girl" & the Temps. too. Saw them in Philly many years ago. (Was just a toddler at the time. Ahem....)

SO - how's it going so far? For us the snow started falling heavily at 2:30pm. Still predicting over a foot - I don't like the idea of the high winds.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stay Safe, Stay Warm, & Way to Stay Sober! Hope you guys don't get as much as they are saying!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just shoveled 6" that the last 3 hours dumped on us....and it's still snowing. The scanner is going crazy with all of the accidents and folks off in ditches. I'm staying put and staying sober!!