Notices

Looking for support

Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for support

Hi all,

Well I've decided that it was time I actually started talking about my problem. To someone, anyone, except well... anyone I know. Yeah, that would be because of the shame. I looked through some threads and it seems like I might find some help here, at least I will finally discuss what's been on my mind! Here it goes...

I've been drinking for over 4 years now, almost every night, but I can easily go a month long binge. I like either a bottle of wine + 2 beers, or around a pint of vodka, (I can go through a 1.4L bottle in 4-5 days) or 6-8 beers…I only drink after 6 PM so I didn’t really consider it a problem, other than a headache or feeling sick for a few hours in the morning half the time… but now, 4 years, 50 pounds and a loaded credit card later, I think I might need some help.

What I find weird is that I’m not trying to run away from anything, or forget anything… I try to focus on the good things: I have a husband who adores me and constantly compliments me, a rewarding career, just enough friends, though I don’t go out as much as I used to… I have a home and a nice car, enough money till recently, a loving family…When I don’t drink, it’s not sadness that I feel, its boredom. Like I’m missing out on my favourite hobby or something…

I was 6 days sober before Christmas, and I didn’t really feel better or like I accomplished anything special, which is sad because I wish that would have been a motivator for me. People told me I looked like I had lost weight, I was less bloated and didn’t have any more stomach aches… but still I didn’t feel any satisfaction. I’ve always struggled with self-hate, being un-interested in general, and, I suppose, depression. Never got any help for that.

Aaaanyway, I could go on and on about more stuff obviously…

And, I’m completely broke till Friday, so at least I won’t be drinking till then :P Hopefully reaching out to you here will give me some good tips on how I can help myself and get myself motivated.

Thanks for reading,
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Meeting with your Doctor and providing full disclosure is the advice I give to you.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Frovex and welcome to SR.

I always think it's important to see a doctor regarding "boredom" because I have found, for me, it is a sign of something much deeper.

I certainly can't decide whether you are an alcoholic or have a drinking problem however that is an awful lot of alcohol to consume nightly.

I used to put all kinds of restrictions on myself when I got sober the first time. No drinking until evening, house had to be spotless, children fed, bathed and homework done. I used the excuse it was a reward for a job well done. The truth is, I just wanted to zone out and get drunk.

Look around our forums and feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.