Notices

Glad I was Sober for My Intervention

Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Glad I was Sober for My Intervention

I had an exam this morning, and called my wife and asked if she could meet me for lunch afterwards. I was hungry and suggested a nice little place near our house. When I got there I was surprised to see all of my children there as well. My two sons, daughter and daughter-in law, as well as my wife. They live 4 hours away. I knew something was up, but we had a nice lunch.

Once we got home the intervention I figured was coming started. Fortunately, I was sober. I don't think I would have been very receptive if I was drunk.

They were gentle with me, I think. I've never been interventioned before, so I don't really know. My son led the discussion, and I think he organized it. We talked for a long time, and I tried to be very honest about what I had done, what I thought about it, and what I am planning to do going forward. My daughter-in-law's father drank himself to death at age 52 just a few months ago. She had me in tears.

Many emotions about the experience:
Ashamed they found it necessary
Pride that they have the nerve to stand up to me
Joy at the love, because they still find me worth it
Motivation to stay dry
Fear that I'll fall off the wagon again

I love them so much. They make me want to be a better man.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are obviously a very loved and lucky man. How great that you were also sober.

That is an incredible show of love and affection and I wish you well with your sobriety.

S x
Old 02-02-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A hugely loved father and husband. You can do this.

That bought a tear to my eye.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The love your family has for you is beautiful! Congrats on being sober!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, very glad you shared this with us. You are so lucky you have such support. I am glad to read that it gives you resolve!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What an amazing family. Blessings to you and to them.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Congrats on getting that much love! Now what is the plan?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ditto to what Sazzle and everyone else said. What are your plans? Did your family suggest anything? Thanks for sharing that. Good luck Non.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting.

What is the plan and were there significant bottom lines if you fail?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Wow what a gift!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My plan is to make a plan. Which sounds like a cop out, but is meant to be quite serious. I have been to outpatient rehab and tried AA many times. I want to try something new, something I have confidence will be more effective. AA meetings will be part of it, though. It helps to be around people who understand. SR will be part of it also. Probably will do some one-on-one counseling as well. I am researching SMART and some of the other programs in the secular section.

I am highly resolved, but I have been highly resolved in the past. It wears off, I know this. So, as I explained to them, my plan is to come up with a plan in the next 2 weeks. That's about all the time I give myself. Or, at least, it's all the longer I currently trust myself.

Day 5 sober today. A damn fine day, indeed.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How about inpatient rehab? Have you thought of that? It can be very helpful to get some time under your belt, to find out who you are and more about your disease and also dealing with others which can be very annoying at times. It's great practice in a safe enviroment.

Just throwing that in there as something to think and pray about. Yes, you can pray even if you don't believe in God. Atheists, agnostics as well as religious folk do this to tap into their spiritual side. It's not hog wash. It's necessary to your recovery. Recovery is very simple but not easy to do. Your brain will want to make it more complicated, which is why going to AA meetings doesn't appeal to you. Too easy. Won't help. I hope you will look into your ego and seek out humility because it helps so much to go into recovery humble.

You must be a wonderful person to have a family who stands by you and loves you so much. Be BOLD. Be corageous and Man Up! It's time. You are more ready than you know.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your post gave me chills. Sounds like you have a wonderful, loving and supportive family. Hope this is a new start for you!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The plethora of emotions seem normal. A sober response.

You seem like the kind of person that will try hard to change for the sake of your family. But ultimately change is a singular event. I hope their expressed love is the key you need.

I am happy for you!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

While nothing is off the table as far as recovery goes, in-patient treatment is unlikely for now. I have a delicate balancing act with my job at the moment. I am a recent hire, and in a 'probationary period'. This means they can be well rid of me without much cause. This period ends March 11, after which I have more latitude because helping me becomes easier than firing me. So, while my sobriety is my number 1 priority, remaining employed is a close second. Not to mention that I envision becoming unemployed could be quite bad for my sobriety. With a lot of free time my AV would be talking to me all day long. I don't relish the thought of spending the whole day alone with that SOB. Not yet, anyways. (I do entertain visions of beating his ass some day in the future.)
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Nonsensical... I love pissing my AV off by staying sober. Other times I put him in a box and cover the air hole. Again there are more times I wind up playing whack-a-mole with it since it pops up in new places every time.

I have relatively new sobriety. Weeks. I had a bad event that percipitated the end of my drinking. I am not strong in it yet but working the issue.

You sound level headed in between bouts of craziness. Lol I can only assume that part based on you being an alcoholic.

Glad your family is there for you. I am going this alone. Well.... With over 100,000 other people on SR.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Nonsensical... I love pissing my AV off by staying sober. Other times I put him in a box and cover the air hole.
Ooooo, I can use that. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Wow.. that is intense. Your family loves you so much! Thank you for sharing this with us.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
(I do entertain visions of beating his ass some day in the future.)
You beat it by doing your best each day and not drinking. Pick one piece of literature to read on your disease, pray, go to a meeting. If you do these things you will kick the Beasts Ass! Hard.

Go 49ers!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

That was great to read...thank you so much for sharing. You are lucky to have a family that cares that much for you. Many of our kind don't have the job nor the family nor a place to stay. Gratitude is something we sometimes overlook. I can see that you are grateful for this opportunity. Take it, and I wish you the best of luck, regardless on which path you take.