Notices

Does my son need help?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LOB

Does my son need help?

My son has been smoking marijuana for 6 years. Things finally came to a head last night when he was arrested and is facing 4 felony charges associated with marijuana. He has an arraignment on Monday morning. Needless to say, he is scared and is willing to do whatever it takes to deal with this issue. I told him it might be a good idea for him to enroll in a drug rehab/counseling program. What are your thoughts on this and can you recommend any in the Greenville, NC area?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Narcotics Anonymous (NA) is free Down East Area of Narcotics Anonymous or Carolina Region of Narcotics Anonymous (CRNA)

Withdrawal is mostly mental with marijuana, but a rehab couldn't hurt, it would keep him away from accessing the drug for 28 or so days.

I wish you both well,
Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would talk to your medical doctor, and get recommendations for professional treatment, counseling. He might not need full rehab, but they can help evaluate him and also recommend outpatient programs, or private therapy.

I found this info helpful, so Im snagging it from another poster to share with you. The references come from SAMHSA - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration from USA.

Substance abuse treatment refers to a broad range of activities or services, including identification of the problem (and engaging the individual in treatment); brief interventions; assessment of substance abuse and related problems including histories of various types of abuse; diagnosis of the problem(s); and treatment planning, including counseling, medical services, psychiatric services, psychological services, social services and follow-up for persons with alcohol or other drug problems (Institute of Medicine)

Substance abuse treatment may be based on one of several traditional approaches:

the Medical Model which focuses on the recognition of addiction as a bio/psycho/social disease, the need for life-long abstinence, and the use of an ongoing recovery program to maintain abstinence;

the Social Model which focuses more on the need for long-term abstinence and the need for self-help recovery groups to maintain sobriety;

and the Behavioral Model which focuses more on diagnosis and treatment of other problems or conditions that can interfere with recovery (HHS/SAMHSA)

Many programs use a combination of some aspects of the various models in order to facilitate the most appropriate treatment for the individual and to give patients options.

Treatment may occur in various settings, such as inpatient, hospital-based programs; short- and long-term residential programs; or outpatient programs; and may be augmented by self-help/12-step and other support groups. Treatment may also use a combination of therapies, such as pharmacological therapy to treat certain addictions (for example the use of methadone for heroin addiction or the use of antabuse to treat alcoholism); use of psychological therapy or counseling, education and social learning theories; and non-traditional healing methods such as acupuncture.

Treatment may extend over the course of weeks, months, or years, depending on the severity of the problems and the level of burden created by clients' multiple disorders such as alcoholism, other drug addiction, HIV/AIDS, mental illness (especially depression), and serious physical illnesses.

The type and intensity of treatment depend on the patient's psychological, physical, and social problems; the stage (or severity) and type of addiction; personality traits; and social skills before the onset of addiction (HHS/SAMHSA)
Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work at a treatment center and we've treated people for Marijuana, a drug is a drug and if he's getting arrested then it is certainly time to take a look at things. He could try NA but if he can't stayed stop, I am a HUGE fan of treatment. If you have insurance you have coverage for addiction and mental health. If you do decide, please take your time in finding a GOOD treatment center, don't be afraid to ask questions and shop around for the one that sounds right to you. Good luck to your son, hope he can get himself back in order.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Rehab is a great starting place for your son. I went to rehab twice with no money. Catholic Charties and County paid. Mj is a drug. It alters our feelings which is just deadly for an addict. I have to get going but please feel free to PM me if you want to know what to expect in rehab and afterwards and how to help your son by getting yourself better as well. It's essential that everyone he is around be involved. You're either for his recovery or against it. Sounds extreme but this a life and death battle. Not only of the body but of the spirit. Because there are many addicts walking around with a pulse but their spirits have died. They are numb, cold, lonely and suffering terribly. Nothing you want for your son. You will be in my prayers.