Notices

The struggle behind the strength

Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thumbs up The struggle behind the strength

One thing that binds us together on SR is our desire to stay strong for ourselves and others. Be it other SR folks or our families or our partners.

That's not always possible. I have needed to find strength way more than provide strength.

None of this is free you know. It all comes at a price. A nominal fee of compassion and empathy.

I have respect for the shared experience of alcoholism.

I see many here who are living a sober life. Who have transitioned to a different way. Even when I see the strength they project in the support provided, I see behind that strength similar struggles I can relate too.

I take most from SR the fact I am not alone.

At first when I discovered SR I used it as an excuse. Look at how many relapse.... Look, they do what I do so in some way it was ok. No. It's not ok.

It's no longer an excuse for me. But I do question the draw to post here. Loneliness?

I think for me it's that I have few, other than my job, Checks and balances in my life. I could go off the rails and there are not many who would miss me. That's what it feels like anyway. So SR gives me a place to be responsible to in some small way.

The point of this thread is this.... You may be struggling today. Everyday even. But there is strength behind your struggle. I guarantee it. Those with longer sobriety than myself show me that that's true. Struggling does not mean weakness. Being an alcoholic does not mean weakness.

There is strength behind your struggles!