Notices

Sober but lonely

Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but lonely

I am a very social person and have always had a boyfriend etc. I have alot of friends and two great kids but I am missing that romantic connection with someone. I only recently gave up booze again for good after unsucessfully trying to cut back. I broke up with a guy that I dated on and off for a year that was lying to me etc.

I want to get into a relationship again... I have several men who want to date me. I am avoiding them and going to meetings because I dont think a relationship would be healthy for me at this point... but I am sooooo lonely. I think I may be addicted to men too. Nevermind.... I know I am doing the right thing by staying away from men.

Thanks for listening
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Well I certainly am not ready to date or get into any kind of relationship. Personally I always picked guys that always wanted their own way. I was the one that always compromised.

Go with your gut. Your gut is telling you to wait and I personally think it is better for us to look after ourselves first. You have years and year of dating ahead of you. Believe me the men aren't going anywhere! lol
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that you should be focusing on your recovery right now.

As far as men, I think that whenever you look to something outside of yourself to fill you up, you will be lost. You can learn to like and love yourself and, at some point the right man might come along.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi lovingliving! I come here to SR and hang out when I'm lonely. Lots of people to talk to 24-7, and it also helps with my sobriety!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovingliving View Post
I have several men who want to date me. I am avoiding them and going to meetings because I dont think a relationship would be healthy for me at this point... but I am sooooo lonely. I think I may be addicted to men too.
I think your approach is the right one. Focusing on yourself is time well spent. My backup addiction is the internet. Not Facebook or any of the social networking stuff. In large part it's downloading free music, with other time spent on other endeavors.

I guess I get what I need on the internet. I'm sorry to hear that you're so lonely. I'm not going to spew words of advice here. Just wishing you the best.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll be far better equipped to handle a relationship - and you'll probably be a little wiser, with a few months sobriety under your belt LL.

I was always lonely too - like Anna said I was trying to fill a void in me with external things...the time I spent with myself really helped me discover who I really was and what I really wanted...

I think the fear of being alone is way worse than the reality - focus on yourself for a while - you'll be ok
D