Notices

Checking in... It's been over a month!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in... It's been over a month!

Hi everyone! So far so good over here. I haven't drank in a month and I have no mindful desire to ever drink again. Sometimes, I get a physical urge but then I come here to read, and it helps me get through it. You guys are such a HUGE help.

So far, here's what has been working:

1. I had a moment of clarity. I don't think that any of this would have happened if events did not unfold as they did. (more on that if you're interested: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-new-here.html

2. I made a decision to stop and absolutely nothing is allowed to come between me and my decision.

3. I found this place. I read the threads every single day. They help keep me focused, and for that I am VERY grateful!

4. I changed my diet. I eliminated all processed foods and sugar.

5. I started planning things to do with my kids on the weekends. Playground, Bowling, Library, Etc. That booze $$$ is being put to much better use now!

That's all. I have had some difficult days but I find that coming here to read and mentally "touch base" with all of the reasons that i never want to drink again REALLY does the trick. There is something about really being present for my kids that has made all of this SO WORTH IT and I see the light!

SR IS MY RECOVERY PROGRAM

Thanks you guys - so much! i can't wait until I have some more time under my belt and can chime in more often and be of some help one day.

xo
me
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great job Finally. I'm on day 16 here and following a similar program to you - SR is a great forum for support and info. Haven't quite eliminated ALL processed foods and sugar, but we try and cook as much fresh as possible. One thing we have started doing is trying at least one "brand new" recipe every week. This weekend we actually did a couple, one was a pork butt roast slow roasted with green chile salsa - yummy!

I think my taste buds were burned out by my drinking as things actually seem to have much more heigtened flavors now. Or maybe it was just becasue I was almost always buzzed at suppertime and semi hung over for breakfast/lunch!

Keep up the good work.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

YAY! So happy for you (and for your kids!)

Way to go!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hooray!

We're all happy to be a part of your recovery program!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Very cool!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

@ scottfromWI: I recently got a crock pot. I think im going to try that pork roast with green chile. Cooking is one of my favorite things to do. I also starting going on a better eating plan....Been making my fresh wraps with avacado for lunch, eliminating my garlic bread intake (I really had a garlic cheese bread problem), and just had a half bagel with light cream cheese and added something new......strawberries.......I passed them in the store and the smell was such an impulse buy.....but a good one none the less....becuase that was an amazing breakfast!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep things in life simple and find balance
in between recovery, family and fun. Quality
of recovery is important and rewarding.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by guskasb14 View Post
@ scottfromWI: I recently got a crock pot. I think im going to try that pork roast with green chile. Cooking is one of my favorite things to do. !
A crock pot should work fine - I actually just did mine in a big covered roasting pot in the oven. Cooked for about 5 hours at @300F. Pulled the roast out, let it cool for a bit and shredded with a fork. While the pork was resting I threw the pot outside for about 15 minutes ( it was 9 below zero ) adn all the fat floated up to the top and partially solidified...so I spooned that off. Then re-added teh shredded pork back to the pot with the de-fatted sauce, and added a little more fresh green salsa. Brought back to a low simmer and ready to roll.

In a crock pot you can just cook it all day on low until it starts falling off the bone.

We can our own salsa every year but if you want to make your own fresh just get some green chiles (depending on your heat preference), tomatillos, garlic, onion and cilantro, and grind it up in the food processor or blender ( or chop it fine if you don't have either ).
Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great work FF.

Remind yourself of your progress each day. Every day is an achievement and makes us stronger
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. It's been three months now. Last night was the hardest night that I have had so far. I had a two hour long panic attack, i could ardly breathe, and i wanted nothing more than a glass of wine!

But i didn't have one because of you guys. Because you were here and your stories were here to prevent me from destroying myself. So, once again. Thank you <3
Old 04-01-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on three months. And I'm glad we could help you make the right decision about not drinking.