Notices

Ice cold Alcohol free Lager/Beer???

Old 01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Oh, I love beer.

Steinlager!!!!!!!!!

My mouth is watering now for ice cold alcohol free lager...

Why torture yourself?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have drunk a river of beer in my lifetime and always said i liked the taste. i convinced myself that the taste of beer was part of the reason i drank it. i think, now, that i merely associated the buzz i craved with the taste. it took me a bit of soul searching to understand that. i look at it this way: if i was given a can of beer when i was five or six, i would have spit it out. Therefore, in my attempts to get back to that free, untainted child i once was, i drink alcohol-free beer no more.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Only you can know if you're okay with this Bruno. I personally am not. I would be on the real stuff in no time. It was really hard for me to quit drinking and I had to have a complete change in my behaviours and habits. This would be too close to the old me. I can't even drink tonic water now cos of the whole gin thing...
Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll read from a prepared statement

My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D

Only yesterday you were posting about how the cravings were back Bruno.
Now you're drinking the closest thing you can get to a beer...

Who's driving the bus here?

D
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You haven't 'had a major relapse'....yet. Drinking that stuff is going to start off a ton of association in your brain. The relapse starts well before you pick up the first drink.

Natom.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My sponsor refers to n/a beers as " Near Beers" she admits that she drank them for six months before joining AA. Her husband tells her to use the date she switched to n/a beers as her anniversary date. She uses the date she started AA instead.

My doctor told me that there a very small amounts of alcohol in these beers so in reality it is not a good idea to drink them. She of course stated she could not stop me. So I stocked up and sucked down a few cases of these n/a beers for six weeks before I justified my way back to real beer, then liqueur and off the wagon I went.

Every alcoholic in recovery that I have met did the same thing and they ended up slipping up and having to start over. Once you can come to terms with the fact that not drinking will not make you a social outcast it will be easier to just not drink when the others around you do.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well its sunday morning and I feel great, no hangover, full of energy and ready for another morning sledginging with the kids before sunday dinner.

Some of my friends will be nursing severe hangovers due to the result of our local football team yesterday(their excuse for a beer, win, lose or draw) I've been there and done that, their kids will be missing from our local snow covered hill today after they couldn't keep the promises made yesterday due to "hangover issues". I've been there and done that, not anymore though thank god.

So the plan is, bath, oatcake breakfast(hypo will know this), then out on the hill with the sledges, then back to home for sunday dinner, then some quality time with the wife and kids, most importantly though NO BOOZE.

As for the cravings D you are right, I did fancy the taste of a cold beer because I do love the taste, its the effect of it that has caused me so much trouble. I get similar cravings for chocolate which can easily be calmed by having a lovely yorkie bar, things would be a whole lot different though if chocolate had the same effect as alcohol, the world would be in a mess then .

Have a great day everybody,

Bruno.