Notices

Went to my first AA meeting and ...

Old 01-17-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waterhill42 View Post
Good for you! I just went to my 3rd (in a row, gonna make it 4 in a row tomorrow).
Actually, my goal is to go 7 days in a row. The gasoline is killing me though (its a 30 mile round trip and my smallest vehicle is a half-ton truck), but I will persevere. The price I pay for living in the sticks.

Mammyof3boys: I am not trying to steal your thunder! I am happy for you! We are both on a new journey/path. We are gonna do it!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I wondered what you ended up doing waterhill. Glad you have gotten to do AA!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Actually, my goal is to go 7 days in a row. The gasoline is killing me though (its a 30 mile round trip and my smallest vehicle is a half-ton truck), but I will persevere. The price I pay for living in the sticks.

Mammyof3boys: I am not trying to steal your thunder! I am happy for you! We are both on a new journey/path. We are gonna do it!
I think we are waterhill42, it's a good decision we have made! The path to a better life! Good luck to you!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Collect phone numbers (of women) at the meetings you go to. At some point in every meeting for the first couple of weeks or so, introduce yourself, say you are new and would like some phone numbers. At our meetings we pass around a list for new people.

You want a bunch of numbers so there is ALWAYS someone to call if you need help, or just need to talk, and so you will get to know people. It's good to get in the habit of making even a quick call every day--someday, when you are in a bad place, it will be much easier to pick up the phone if you've gotten into the habit.
I will thank you! Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions too!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Waterhill, if you share your transportation issue at meetings, you might very well find someone willing to give you rides--even part way would cut down on the mileage. Try it--we love to help new people (especially--but we've worked out stuff for longtime members who have trouble getting around, too) get to meeting. You might be able to meet up with someone who lives in between, or for whom a halfway point isn't too much out of their way. You can return the favor by helping other new people when they need it. It's part of how we stay sober!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mammyof3boys View Post
I think we are waterhill42, it's a good decision we have made! The path to a better life! Good luck to you!
There is a lady who attends morning meetings at a church that has a nursery. She always has one or two of the kids with her and they play quietly (sort of) while she does her AA meeting.
That lady celebrated 1 yr at the end of December and she chaired the table last Tuesday on Step 2. She became a table leader from a hopeless drunk !

I not only see the peace and hope in her eyes but the children as well.

It's amazing to watch.

See you in the rooms Mammy (our granddaughters call my wife Mammy)

Bob R
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I found the cost per mile drinking was less than the cost per mile going to AA meeting.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I found the cost per mile drinking was less than the cost per mile going to AA meeting.
Mine was FAR more:

A trip to the bar = how much I had in my wallet (and then some)

A trip to the AA meeting = $2.00 ... and that comes with free coffee and treats

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
There is a lady who attends morning meetings at a church that has a nursery. She always has one or two of the kids with her and they play quietly (sort of) while she does her AA meeting.
That lady celebrated 1 yr at the end of December and she chaired the table last Tuesday on Step 2. She became a table leader from a hopeless drunk !

I not only see the peace and hope in her eyes but the children as well.

It's amazing to watch.

See you in the rooms Mammy (our granddaughters call my wife Mammy)

Bob R
Thank you! See you there 2granddaughters!