Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Does Facebook Negatively Affect You? Especially in Early Sobriety…

Notices

Does Facebook Negatively Affect You? Especially in Early Sobriety…

Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I play Scrabble and keep up with the pregancies and kid events of family. And I'm in some membership-limited AA groups to keep up with people in the far away groups that are important to me.

I'm often travelling overseas or several US States away from my homegroup, so it's useful to keep up some interactions with friends.

And I very rarely lose at Scrabble.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't 'do' facebook, never have, never will. I see no point to it.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I permanently deleted my facebook the other day, I was so fed up of spending hours nosing in other peoples lives, it was making me so miserable and extremely negative.

I thought to myself if I'm going to move on and find peace within my own life I need to be rid of everyone else's stuff.

lol it is like a mission to stay clear of it, I have 14 days (12 now) before it's gone forever in that time I can reactivate it if I wanted to.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

fb can be a demon,, it can be fun too,, its the perfect big brother tool too.
i use it to chat to friends who have moved to oz,or to other far away shores,, to simply look and share photos ect,, but it can be a toughy, i used to think everyone was having such a fab life apart from me!!!!
then i realised,, if one has to constantly,, and i mean constantly,, keep updating ones status , to "ooooo my lifes soooooooooooo grand",,, then why is one not out enjoying ones such grand life,, and not stuck in on bloddy fb all day!!!???
makes ya tiink hey??
so,,, i use it,, but limit it,,,, i say,, if my mates havent got my phone number,,, then they are not my mates,,, so why have em on fb??
its all sad really,,, but it sucks us in ,, i admire peeps who dont use it,,, i wish it was never invented ,, but hey hoo,,,
sr is a much better place x
hugs lv cleo xxxxxx:ghug3
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

great post tho,,, v v v interesting xxxx
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janiebluebird View Post
I disconnected facebook from my phone last night and felt pretty happy and stable all day. When I got home tonight I checked it on my computer and started feeling sour afterwards. Its like seeing the highlights of everyone else’s day, or their facade of what their life is like. Everyone trying to impress everyone else or something. In addition, I still get event invitations to occasions that involve alcohol.

It made me wonder if other people opted to deactivate their accounts during early sobriety? Or if facebook got under your skin early on like this?
I don't touch my facebook account anymore. My life has enough drama as it is.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilgolden73 View Post
I think I am going to pretty much strip my page to the bare minimum and leave it, that way if anyone wants to get in touch with me through there it can come to my email, and then I am going to take the app off my phone and be done with it. Sounds like a perfect solution, in my case anyhow!
My friend told me that the people who really know me and are my actual friends will have my phone number and/or email address. Who cares about the rest? Lol. I had nearly 700 friends. I knew about half of them and spent time with about 5!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I must be in the minority because FB doesn't bother me. They people who are my "friends" are people I actually know and care about.

I have 5 siblings, all of whom live far away. I use FB to chat with them & keep up with photos of my nieces and nephews.

I certainly don't spend much time on FB but I do enjoy peoples' posts. It's rare when someone posts about partying and even when they do it doesn't bother me. They have their life to live and I have mine to live. Good for them if they have control over alcohol.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I never used Facebook when I was still drinking (thank goodness..), so I'm not sure if it had any negative impact on me. I'm not friends with big drinkers, the few who are I just sort of feel bad for them. Most of the people I interact with there are coworkers, family, a few friends, old highschool people, but all of them are *really* people I want and like to have in my life, I don't friend people on fb that I don't have an established positive relationship with.. and I don't notice an onslaught of anything alcohol related. I have "blocked" or hidden a few family members who are obviously posting drunk, then I don't have to ever see them.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Deactivated FB a couple of years ago owing to high morning after anxiety stemming from stupid things I had posted when drinking the night before. I haven't missed it, and now that I'm recovering I have even less use for it.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love Facebook. It's up 60+% since I bought their stock. I keep up with family and friends. Sure there is a lot of garbage on it, but there's a lot of garbage anywhere. I don't compare myself to others anymore so the braggarts don't bother me, in fact, good for them. I do my best to maintain by AA anonymity on FB.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I love Facebook too. I get, and give, a lot of support there. I don't spend hours on it, but it's a way to keep people in my life that I formerly did not keep in touch with but missed.

It does make you compare your life to others' but that can be inspiring and give you motivation if you want to change things for the better. You can tell the ones that exaggerate reality pretty easily.

It may be a different experience depending on the age you are. I'm old lol
I don't know if I would have embraced the concept as much if I were in my 20's or 30's as I do now.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
It may be a different experience depending on the age you are. I'm old lol
I don't know if I would have embraced the concept as much if I were in my 20's or 30's as I do now.
Interesting point FreeFall. I've never had any problems with FB. No high drama and I think it's interesting what others post about their lives, but it never occured to me to compare mine to theirs or vice versa. But maybe it IS an age thing. I'm nearly 50. I chat with my over 50 friend on the other side of the continent and all my friends and I share funny posts, etc.

On the other hand. I don't have a television, and haven't for years. I don't miss it. No big dramatic reason I don't have it, I just never bothered to get one after a move and found out I didn't miss it.

This thread has given me a whole new perspective on FB. I use it to keep my finger on the pulse of many positive things. But hey, maybe I'M the drama other people roll their eyes over when they open up their FB page! LOL
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I love Facebook. I have reconnected with people I haven't seen in ages, and keep up with pictures of their children, etc.

This year for Christmas gifts, I made people home movies of their own families from pictures I got from their facebook pages. It was a lot of fun and my friends really enjoyed them.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I deactivated my Facebook and instagram the same day I decided to stop drinking. I also found myself influenced in a negative way and it was a complete distraction. Now I'm more focused on my life and not concerned about the next person status.